What do I need to add?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by keren, Dec 6, 2008.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Okay, so a lady is bringing her little boer wether to my place for harness training, he is going to be here for approximately 6 mths while he grows out and trains.

I drafted up this bit of a disclaimer, let me know what you think:

I (space for lady's name) hereby state that I am leaving my animal/s (space for animal's identification) in the absolute care of Miss Keren Muthsam, Pacqio Goat Stud, from the date shown on this form.

I acknowledge that all aspects of the care and welfare of my animal will be achieved at the highest level.

I understand that all due care will be taken in the care and welfare of my animal; however in the case of injury or illness, including that which may lead to death, I agree that K. Muthsam and associated persons cannot be held responsible.

In the event of my animal requiring veterinary care for injury/illness, I authorise K. Muthsam to seek veterinary assistance on my behalf, at her absolute discretion.

(Space for lady to sign and date)

(Space for me to sign and date)

I figured two copies, one for her to take and one for my own records.

Your thoughts?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds good except for who pays for the vet care if needed?

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Exactly what I was thinking Stacey - make sure that that is specifically stated. Otherwise (heaven forbid) but if something happens - you are covered!

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    your contract sounds great ....I do agree though ...it needs to specify ....who pays the vet bill.... :)

5. laststraw

laststraw Guest

Oct 6, 2007
    I think your contract sounds good, but I agree with the need to spell out that financial responsibility for any vet care is the sole responsibility of the owner of the goat. I also understand that you want to emphasize that you are providing the highest standard of care for animals in your charge, but repeating it sounds strange (like, why do you have to say it twice?). I also think you need to say PROVIDE vet care rather than seek, as they have different connotations and your intent (I believe) is to actually have vet care provided to an animal in need.

I think you could consolidate these thoughts, something like this (I am not a lawyer or anything, just my opinion here):

Animals placed in the charge of K. Muthsam are maintained at the highest standard of care with the welfare of the animals considered first and foremost. In the case of injury or illness, including death, I agree that K. Muthsam and associated persons cannot be held responsible. In the event my animal requires veterinary care for injury/illness, I authorize K. Muthsam to provide veterinary assistance on my behalf, at her absolute discretion, and accept full financial responsibility for said vet care.

2 cents :)

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Thanks Erin, I will refine it a little. I did that sometime around midnight last night, so thats why its not 100% coherent lol

The right thing to do would be for the client to pay the vet bill, right?

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    to me the animal is theirs and they are not to hold you responsible hence they are to pay the vet bill.

Now if say like one your goats or animals injures the goat to the point of killing it or making it unfit then that would be a whole different story.