The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using pop jugs, amd water jugs but I can not come up with enough to store all the milk I am getting in. I am freezing most of it. Where does everyone get their jugs or how do you store your extra milk?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Re: What do you all store your milk in? Im running out of ju

I use Mason jars and the 2 litter jugs you get milk in from the store. I have a friend that buys milk that way so they save me the jugs. But I really like my Mason jars.

·
Registered
425 Posts

I use mason jars of all sizes (you can buy pint and quart in the stores but anything bigger you usually have to buy online).

I like them because they are easy to clean and don't make the milk taste off, something that can happen with plastic because it is porous. As for the extra, I make it into kefir and yogurt and cheese, and if I still have too much I give it to friends.

·
Registered
8,907 Posts

When I get close to running out, I go to the local espresso stand and ask if they will save the milk jugs for me for the day and I will pick them up after work. They are usually more than willing to do it for me ---- course a little goat milk fudge in return helps me out alot!

·
Registered
3,473 Posts

most of my milk gets used from bottle kids, but i have a large stainless steel pot that i use, and i use milk jugs/juice bottles for transport/ long term storage

·
Registered
4,251 Posts

We use half gallon mason jars, it keeps milk the longest. We avoid using plastic since the milk doesn't last as long in it, and they are much harder to clean since they are porous.

·
689 Posts

We bought half-gallon glass containers at Wal-Mart. They weren't very expensive (like $3 or $4 each), and they work really well for us. (We don't like putting milk in plastic, either). We also share our milk with my parents and another neighbor; and, like everyone else here, we make fudge and cheese and soap out of any excess (although we don't usually have a lot of excess after my family gets ahold of it). :wink:
-Tina

·
Registered
1,093 Posts

We store our milk for the kids in ice cream containers...we eat a lot of ice cream-so we usually have a lot of containers. We also cleaned out the gallon sized teat dip containers that we get and filled them up with milk to-but be sure to clean them well before using them. Also we clean out the bleach jugs and use them as well. We have also had luck in finding plastic buckets from our local grocery store-they get like those 5 gallon buckets of stuff for their bakeries and then when they are done with them they sell them for a couple bucks or give them to ya free.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts

Also check your restauraunts-we have a local one that has those gallon sized plastic or glass may jars and pickle jars sometimes. We used to get the half gallon jars of dill pickles-those work well to.

·
Registered
205 Posts

I used snapple glasses that are cleaned out really good.

·
Registered
29 Posts

We use milk jugs - for our crafting / personal use milk and store milk for sale in glass jars.

:cake:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts