What do you all think??

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by kelebek, Oct 22, 2008.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    What do you all think that of this buck??

[​IMG]

Old Castle Blue

Born 03-02-07

Black and White with BLUE EYES

Sire: CTC Moonshadow Viva La Bam

Dam: Phantasma ZT Aphrodite

For Sale as a Proven Buck

Pictures and info courtesy of Jackson Earl Ranch

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Um, honestly I don't really like him. He looks to have quite a steep rump and he looks pretty weak on his pasterns. . . . I don't really care for the Old Castle herd but that is just my humble opinion. I wouldn't buy him but it's your herd. ;)

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Ooooooo :drool: He is a nice long boy...and those eyes with that color is really striking!! The rump looks steep but it could be the pic as e is "on the move" in it.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you cant see his pasterns in that picture as he is on rocks and as Liz says he is on the move.

I would be more concerned about his dams udder and if his kids have done well in shows

5. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    ......i don't think those are rocks.....

but .. something about him seems... odd... it you could get a posed picture and see waht his kids look like and if any are in milk

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    rocks, rocky dirt, muck whatever it is -- doesnt matter, that fact that it obscures the ability to see his pasterns correctly is what matters

7. jordan

jordan Fall Creek Farm

Nov 22, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Just the fact that this person is claiming that he is a "proven" buck would make me run for the hills! A buck is not proven until you see numerous daughters freshen!! Doubtful out of a buck born last year.
    What do you know of his dam's udder? Either of his grand dams? Have you seen udders out of his sire?
    :hair: I'm going to step up on my soapbox for a second here...
    A BUCK IS 50% OF YOUR HERD!!!! Color and/or blue eyes mean nothing!! Buy the absolute best you can afford and pay very close attention to the points mentioned above (udder genetics) as well as correct conformation and dairy character. It doesn't matter if you are breeding for pets, show or milk if you plan on selling a single kid out of your buck. There are enough very average/poor ND's out there already that people don't need to encourage more being bred by buying mediocre animals.
    Stepping down now... :GAAH:

Can you get a decent pic of him standing? Information on his udder genetics?

8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i think its cow poop.. ewwww... :worried:

but from his front foot, the only one not moving.. it looks low.. so i would say another picture is needed before we can determine

9. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    and i think by proven, they mean he's a stud, not a dud

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Exactly, SDK...A stud...not everyones idea of "proven" is the same :wink:

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup thats what I agree on

I think by proven they mean he can produce kids :wink:

12. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Totally 100% agree with Lois.

I personally do not care for him I agree there is an awkwardness to him.

13. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon

14. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Personally I don't like him at all, jmho. I think another post said something about him seems off. He just doesn't look buck quality to me. As another post said color and blue eyes don't make the buck, not saying that's what your after, just saying...it's a bonus when you get that on a nice buck. He definately looks to have a steep rump. What do his daughters look like? How are their udders? If it were me, i'd pass. He's cute, but not what I would look for in a herd sire.

15. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    I totally agree with this. When you look at him can you say he's better then your does? Will he improve your herd? Your buck should always be the best goat in your herd. After keeping does out of that buck for a couple of years you should need to buy a better buck to breed to them to keep improving your herd. Shelly

16. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Im going to have to agree with jordon on this one. A buck is fifty percent of your herd. one doe can produce one to an average of three kids (sometimes more) in one year. a buck can produce twenty or more if bred to enough does. you always want your buck to be better then your does. otherwise how is he siposed to improve youre genetics? The buck pictured is steep in the rump, looks to be posty and maybe its the way that his feet are trimmed but he does look down on his pasturns, not something you should see ina yearling. his neck is pretty short too.
    Sorry to be harsh I just wouldnt put much faith in him. even breeding for pet animals.
    beth

17. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Thank you all.

That is why I posted him -as I was curious to your opinions.

Here is my dilema. Joe and Lil man are leaving REAL soon. Which means who ever is not bred is going to have to wait till either January when I can purchase a new buck or when ever Turner decides that he is a buck and NOT a baby dog. I really wanted to get 3 of my registered does bred now, but I will not have the money to purchase a new buck until mid January.

The other issue is is that there are not any "quality" breeders real close. Most are 6 or more hours away from me, and in january it is going to be aweful around here with the roads and I really do not want to be traveling that far to pick up a full rutt buck in the back of my truck.

What do you all suggest? Any thoughts?

The only other really good breeder that I know of is the place that Joe Dirt came from and she is about 2 1/2 hours from me - NORTH. Which means bad roads and almost her entire herd is the creams and buckskins. I would like some color variance - although they are very nice looking goaties.

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    depends on what your goal is with breeding --- do you want good pet quality goats or show quality?

Ask to see better pictures of him, ones of him standing still would be great --- set up would be awesome.

19. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That is quite a dilemma. I don't know how far this breeder is from you but here's a website for Nigerians in Idaho: http://www.harmonymtnranch.com/ Looks like she has pretty nice goats.

Here is someone that I talked with earlier this year (she desperately wanted to buy our pygmy buck). She's an awesome breeder of really quality animals and has Nigerians (at least she did when I talked with her). She's very, very sweet!!
    Dream Chaser Farms
    Tamara Katzer
    415 West Rd.
    Jerome, ID 83338
    (208) 324-2767
    dreamchaserfarms@yahoo.com

Again, don't know how far she is from you. . . . but hopefully it helps a little. ;)

20. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Thank you Olivia - I will check them out and see what I find!

Allison