The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pygmy goat she's 5 months old. and next year I was planning on showing her in the fair. the reason im not showing her this year (besides the fact she's not halter broke yet) is well I have never seen a goat show in my life and have absolutely no idea what to do. (im planning on watching the goat show at our fair this year)
Ive done horse halter classes, is it similar to that?
my friend told me that you walk the goat around and have it stand and the judge looks at it then they ask you questions (her question was what should a pygmy look like) .... and that is as far as my goat show knowledge goes lol
So yeah tell me everything about goat shows lol?

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Are you young enough to be in 4-H? If you are, find a good goat 4-H club. The other club members and leader(s) will help you out lots. Plus there are lots of other benefits to being in 4-H.

I'm in 4-H, it's really fun.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im in 4-H now im 16. but im in a small town so im pretty sure we don't have a goat club :/ and our extension office only has info. on raising meat goats for business. so any goat info. I get is from the internet, books, or my other friend who also has goats lol.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
I would definitely attend as many shows in your area as you possibly can. There is nothing like learning tricks from other showmen while they are doing their thing.

I am clueless when it comes to Pygmies, so I don't even know if they are shown as market, dairy, or some other category!

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I think they are in their own category. So, I would wear black pants. You want to wear a white shirt. Then western boots, and a belt. Boots and belt need to be the same color. I would go with black.

In the show ring, you ALWAYS want your goat between you and your goat. You want a neat, clean, appearance. In showmanship, smile the whole time. Never walk behind the goat. When you set feet up, do front, then back. (Right?) Show clip your goat, and use a show chain. If you have short goats, use a little leather extension thing. I can post a pic of mine later so you know what I am talking about. Even if you win or not, congratulate the other competitors.

Other rules depend on the fair itself. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any other questions! I love showing! :)

·
14,760 Posts
I'd attend shows, and get as much information as you can on goats in your county. It's different everywhere you turn. One county may offer classes for meat goats, the other may offer for market goats only, and a bunch of others will have meat & dairy goat shows/classes. So find out what your fair offers as far as classes.

Go on youtube and look up vidoes on showing goats. That's what really helped my kids when they started showing.

Make sure you attend the necessary 4-H classes to get your hours in. See if there is a 4-H club in a neighboring county that has goats that you could possibly make arrangements to sit in at some meetings and learn? We did this once when my kids were in their first year in 4-H.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts