What do you do with all that manure?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by JessaLynn, Jan 1, 2010.

1. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    This is our first winter with goats and I have been doing the deep litter method.I was wondering.. when warm weather starts up and you clean out your barns..What do you do with all that manure? I already have a huge pile and don't know exactly what to do with it all.I have already posted it several times on free cycle over the summer and had people come get some for fertilizer but I'm gonna have a ton by spring.

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Yep, I put it on Craigs list, after I ill my two gardens with it. It is great, other wise, we take it by the wheel barrow, put it in different piles on the pasture and drag it in the Spring all over the pastures with grass seed.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    my mom has a large garden - so I just dump it in there, she also uses the old hay for lining the beds to keep the weeds out from between the beds.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    You can advertise on Craigslist. We have a section of one of our hay fields that's not farmable so that's where mine goes...it's just like a dry, rocky, area.

5. goatshows

goatshows New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    MA
    Dose anyone give it to there chickens? You would think with all the bugs in it they would love it?

6. Garden growers love it, it is the best for plants. Hey fields that fertalize will love it too.

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We have a LOT of manure to deal with every year. What we do is we have two piles, one from this year and one from last year. Last year's pile gets turned every couple of months to get nice and broken down(its beautiful stuff when its done) and this year's stuff just keeps getting added to. At the end of the year or in the fall before we plow the ground under, we'll take last year's stuff and spread it on the nearby farms we rent, mostly in the sandier spots that didn't yield as much that year. It really makes a difference for the next year's production :)

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have neighbors that prefer my goat poop over the cow poop from the farm nearby....I pretty much just let them know when I'm ready to clean out and as long as the yard is dry they are invited to drive across and pick up what they want.

9. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    Goat manure is coveted by gardeners because goats process their food better than cattle. Even grass and tomato seeds will not pass thru their digestive system. It does not have to be composted because it degrades without producing heat or methane. Put some flyers up at the local green house or garden center and folks will be pestering for it, maybe even to the point of picking it up for you.

10. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Thanks everyone.My chickens have to go threw it all no matter what I do they wont stay out of it so it gets spread everywhere.Owell maybe they are doing me a favor and turning it for me.LOL

11. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

I have horses and chickens too. Lots of poo! And I'll let my stalls build up for about 2 weeks (just for the goats, the horses are "house/barn broken") and then clean it all out down to the floor. I like to stack it all up and mix it and let it compost. Then I either use the compost for my yard, trees, and garden or any of my family members might come get a truck load - but if I have a lot and we don't need it, I post it on CraigsList! Also, sometimes, when I know it isn't an ideal time to compost like when it's freezing or too hot and the compost dries out I will just load it into my trash cans at the beginning of the week, wait until the last day and load some more - it will begin to compost in their during the week so there is extra room - and have it dumped each week. I can never fit it all in the cans, but it helps chip away at the endless supply I have!!

12. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

We have a 8 by 16 goat house out in the field that hasn't been cleaned out for over a year. We don't put anything in it. So no hay. We have a guy that is gonna come buy it from us when we get it cleaned. Guess whos job that one is? lol

13. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Offer it for free on Craigslist and have the work done for you :greengrin: It will soon be gardening time and it will be gone in no time. Free fertilizer of the best kind.

14. ENC

ENC New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    NE OK
    Wow I never thought about being able to give it away. I have just been trying to fill up my holler.

Evan

15. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I plan to use it for my garden. I've been composting the chicken droppings, so hopefully I'll have nice fertilizer by spring :)