The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
I actually deep bed mine-I let them bedding sit and just add more on top. It’s all very high quality coastal so not cost efficient lol. It naturally composts and creates warmth in winter. Most would empty once a year but for me, as it breaks down It also adds a soil layer in the stalls which is good for me, as the barn was built in a terrible place so when we have torrential rain, the water flows around the stalls not in it. The chickens scratch around in it and break up poop! If there were a lot of them or large animals like horses, I think it would create ammonia And not work, but the ratio seems just right. They also have runs attached to the stalls so are not in them all the time.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I actually deep bed mine-I let them bedding sit and just add more on top. It's all very high quality coastal so not cost efficient lol. It naturally composts and creates warmth in winter. Most would empty once a year but for me, as it breaks down It also adds a soil layer in the stalls which is good for me, as the barn was built in a terrible place so when we have torrential rain, the water flows around the stalls not in it. The chickens scratch around in it and break up poop! If there were a lot of them or large animals like horses, I think it would create ammonia And not work, but the ratio seems just right. They also have runs attached to the stalls so are not in them all the time.
obviously for worms and diseases like CL the above is not ideal. I'm starting to cycle the animals through parts of the barns to leave other parts dormant for 60-90 days to allow most the hatched larva to die then allow reuse.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you have chickens you can give your dropped hay and soiled bedding to them. They turn it up and add more nutrients too it and make it into lovely soil without any work.
Hello,
I do have chickens that have a pretty big area, do I just spread it on the ground they forage in?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts