The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you feed your goats? I have Nubian breeding buck and doe, a wether that will be in the freezer this fall, a milk producing lamanacha, and 2 Nubian mixed kids the male is a pet 3 months old and our female Is 4 months, we will probably breed her when she get old enough and possibly milk. Then reason I’m asking is our vet told us to take out 2 males the Nubian buck and the kid off of all grain and corn. I have never heard of this! What do you feed and if you have a diverse herd like mine do you feed them all separate? That just seem like a lot of unnecessary work. Currently the buck, doe and wether eat cot and sweet feed mix, the littles are fed separate because the other goats will but them out of the way. They get alfalfa and sweet feed. And our milking LaMancha gets the same while we milk. They all are on good minerals as well as hay and plenty of pasture.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,396 Posts
Corn and sweet feed can very easily cause urinary calculi in male goats - that’s why your vet told you to take them all off it.

You can probably skirt by feeding everyone the same thing with a balanced goat pellet and some alfalfa pellets for balance along with a good grass hay.

This, as long as you DO NOT have very hard well water.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Are you feeding grass hay or alfalfa hay?

Is the Nubian buck housed separately from the does?

So many grains (and corn) have high phosphorus, which can cause urinary calculi which are basically like a kidney stone in humans. Because male goats have really long and small diameter urinary tracts, these stones can cause major problems. Some goats even die from urinary calculi when the bladder bursts!

We can definitely help you with a feed mix that you can feed all your goats but that has enough calcium to prevent urinary calculi.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you feeding grass hay or alfalfa hay?

Is the Nubian buck housed separately from the does?

So many grains (and corn) have high phosphorus, which can cause urinary calculi which are basically like a kidney stone in humans. Because male goats have really long and small diameter urinary tracts, these stones can cause major problems. Some goats even die from urinary calculi when the bladder bursts!

We can definitely help you with a feed mix that you can feed all your goats but that has enough calcium to prevent urinary calculi.
They get grass hay and no they are housed together

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Could you post a photo of the tag of your Sweet Feed with the nutrient analysis so we can help you more?

One good option *might* be mixing the sweet feed half and half with alfalfa pellets and using that for everyone but we'd need to see the tag.

As soon as your young 4 month old Nubian doeling comes in to heat, your buck is going to breed her. Not only could she be injured in this process, but she will become impregnated way too young. It will be super bad for her growth, and she could possibly experience birthing issues. The two older does are likely already re-bred. I would definitely recommend not keeping your buck housed with does & doelings full time. Your does will age quickly and have a hard time getting pregnant several times per year.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I'm in NC too, we had always fed Bartlett feed for nearly 7 years, but a few years back we started noticing some changes and were not pleased. We ended up switching over to Blue Seal. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

We have a pretty large show herd (Nigerians, Lamanchas, and Mini Lamanchas + a few Nubians). We feed Blue Seal Caprine Challenger to our does, Blue Seal Homefresh Grow & Finish to all our kids and bucks/wethers. The Grow and Finish feed is medicated but is very balanced. It also had added ammonium chloride. We have never had a case of UC, and have had (at times) ~15 mature (well, yearling or older) bucks & wethers. During rut we'll also feed Sunshine PLUS.
We will give alfalfa pellets as needed.

Nubians are BIG goats, the bucks can be massive. I don't know the genetics on your guy but if you want him to reach his full size potential, he needs to be fed IMO. In this region is is highly unlikely to have a dairy buck reach his proper size without a good quality feed.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,396 Posts
Could you post a photo of the tag of your Sweet Feed with the nutrient analysis so we can help you more?

One good option *might* be mixing the sweet feed half and half with alfalfa pellets and using that for everyone but we'd need to see the tag.

As soon as your young 4 month old Nubian doeling comes in to heat, your buck is going to breed her. Not only could she be injured in this process, but she will become impregnated way too young. It will be super bad for her growth, and she could possibly experience birthing issues. The two older does are likely already re-bred. I would definitely recommend not keeping your buck housed with does & doelings full time. Your does will age quickly and have a hard time getting pregnant several times per year.
**might**... no, I have to disagree - sweet feed is never a good option for male goats, balanced or not. :)

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
So basically it’s not that grain or phosphorus is the issue it’s that it needs to be at a certain ratio with calcium. I always forget but I think it’s 3:1 cal:phos. Grass, and grain are higher on the phosphorus side, so since you are feeding grain and grass I think the pellets would be a great idea to add in or you can pull the males and add in alfalfa hay which might be a much cheaper way of adding calcium. Also as suggested you can change to a grain that has ammonia chloride in it. IMO the added AC is not a for sure never going to get stones but it is a small insurance to help.
But I agree with Salteylove post the tag and let’s see what you have and then you will probably get more help also how much you are feeding of it.
But to answer your question yes mine are basically all fed apart. The kids have a creep feeder and they have free choice grain and alfalfa hay. The does get alfalfa hay and no grain but they do get protein tubs. They bucks get alfalfa hay and only grain when it is needed, like they usually get some grain after I pull them from breeding the does because they loose a lot of condition and winter is coming. I don’t want them over weight and suffering when I turn them out with the girls when it’s usually 100+ degrees. They all have brows off and on threw the year.
My kids do have market wethers every year, except this year, and they are on a very high grain diet. I do pull my hair out every year worrying about UC but so far (knock on wood) all has been good. I keep some AC on hand, we watch them pee like a hawk and we always have a bucket with electrolytes and free choice salt out for them to encourage water consumption.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,618 Posts
We ended up switching over to Blue Seal. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!
We have a pretty large show herd (Nigerians, Lamanchas, and Mini Lamanchas + a few Nubians). We feed Blue Seal Caprine Challenger to our does, Blue Seal Homefresh Grow & Finish to all our kids and bucks/wethers.
I feed blue seal and have loved it too. ;)

The Grow and Finish feed is medicated but is very balanced.
Do you just ignore the fact that it's medicated? I mean, I was worried about giving them the medicated version because if I only wanted to give a little, below the recommended amount I would be building parasite resistance.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,396 Posts

Do you just ignore the fact that it's medicated? I mean, I was worried about giving them the medicated version because if I only wanted to give a little, below the recommended amount I would be building parasite resistance.
Because I relied on natural coccidia management - I didn't care about it being medicated.

·
Registered
595 Posts

Nope I don't ignore it, even with 60+ kids born/year we don't seem to have any coccidia issues within the herd. I do think the feed helps tremendously, but the kids are also receiving Cal Pro in their milk 1x a day. No resistance issues. I don't have cocci issues in my adult bucks either, I am not worried about it.

I should also note that my kids get the feed free-choice. Some of my adult bucks have it free choice, other need to be limited- depends on body condition.

If you don't like that it is medicated, Blue seal does have other options.
Every herd needs to do what works for them. Ours thrive on the feed so I'm not changing it unless I have a reason to do so.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts