What do you feed?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by shadycreekgoats, Oct 29, 2009.

1. shadycreekgoats

shadycreekgoats New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    What do you feed? :shrug: Just cautious!! :greengrin:

Grain & Hay... :)

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Right now I am feeding free choice grass mix hay and that's pretty much it. The goats do get to browse everyday and also have free access to minerals and baking soda.

The girls will be transitioned to an alfalfa-based diet during the last two months of their pregnancies and during lactation. I give grain as needed starting in the last month of pregnancy thru lactation. I don't feed any set amount of grain--I try to feed individuals based on preformance/body condition. I used to only feed set amounts and quickly came to realize that what is right for one may be way off for another.

Oh, and for grain, I use Purina Goat Chow with BOSS added in. I have tried others that are available in my area and this is the one that the goats seem to do best on. If I had a lot of goats, I would probably mix my own...but, with only two goats that eat grain regularly, it is much more convenient just to buy one bag and be done.

3. shadycreekgoats

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Sounds good...F.R.F!!! Thanks! :hug:

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My minis get an alfalfa,clover, mixed grass hay....I fill hayracks 2x a day and my does get browse freechoice.

I have fed Blue Seal Caprine Challenger for the last 6 years and they all do well on it. My bucks get the grain mixed with 1 cup of sunshine pellets, which is similar to calf manna.

The only does that get grain at this time is the one I milk once a day and my 3 1/2 month old doeling.

Normally all my does would get 1 cup of grain each with 1/2 cup alfalfa pellets, I'm trying a new feeding program this fall by not giving my preggy does any grain until they are 120 days bred.....and hopefully I see a difference with my newborn kid weights.

5. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Melbourne, Fl.
    Mine get free choice orchard grass/alfalfa mix hay, free choice alfalfa pellets mixed with alittle beet pulp, and free choice loose goat minerals. My thin doe I just started giving her Dumor goat pellets and beet pulp along with what the others get. I have 3 wethers and 3 does. I do not grain anyone excpet for the old doe that needs the weight.

6. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Wow- I guess my goaties are spoiled rotten. I cant imagine not graining them twice aday- they go crazy when I get there in the morning and the late afternoons!

I fill all of their hay racks twice a day- right now we are just feeding a late first cut timothy/orchard grass
    The bucks (6 of them right now) get a 2 qt scoop of Blue Seal Meat Goat Medicated with AC twice a day

The senior doe pen (about 20 does in there) get 4 qts of Blue Seal Dairy Goat Pellet twice a day

The junior doe pen (10 or so in there) get 3 qts of Blue Seal Diary Goat Pellet twice a day and 1/2 qt of Sunshine Plus Pellets

Everyone has access to Sweet Lix Loose minerals, and the senior doe pen opens up to pasture, which is pretty well eaten down this time of year

Does in milk get a mixture of Alfalfa Pellets, Dairy Goat Pellet, and Sunshine Plus on the stand

I go through about 250 lbs of grain per week and a half for about 40 goats :help:

But you know- pretty much everyone looks right on for weight- I have a couple that could use about 5 lbs, but they should once they start milking.

7. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    My goats are also spoiled (and oh so chunky). My goats get Blue Seal Caprine Challenger 2-3 c per day if in milk, about a cup divided in am/pm for non milkers, minerals,baking soda and hay. I also mix the feed with alfalfa pellets. My goats also have some pasture and they are loving the wild grapes this time of year. (in small quantities of course!)

8. shadycreekgoats

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
  9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

For hay my goats were getting a orchard 70% alfalfa 30% mix hay. They got all the hay they could eat. Each doe goat about a lb of alfalfa pellets morning and night.
    Here is my grain mixture

100 lbs rolled oats
    50 lbs rolled corn
    150 lbs rolled barley
    Each doe goat a stablespoon of ground flax seed, and one cup of BOSS over the top of their grain.
    During breeding season and through the winter they got a small scoop of beet pulp, for extra fiber.

For measurements i went according to goat, some goats look at food and get fat while others need lots more.

Kids got to share a measured amount of grain. I never give kids anymore grain then they can eat in ten minutes. if they werent done i took it away.
    The buck got a handful of BOSS a scoop of ground flax, and a handful of grain once a day. Just so that hey could get the flax mostly.

beth

10. So from what I gather BOSS is a pour on lice & fly controller right? I there any reason to use on the very small herd, especially if you don't have those problems?
    By the way I guess my goaties are spoiled too, all the alfalfa they want, 1c grain in the evening(may be trimming that back), they have pasture to browse, and loose mineral and baking soda.

11. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I free feed 3-way oat hay, Every evening they get a grain mixture of alfafa pellets, meat goat pellets, boss (black oil sunflower seeds), and Manna Pro goat balancer. When does are being flushed or the temps drop below freezing I also add sweet feed. They always have access to the Sweetlix meat maker mineral block and the does get baking Soda... but NEVER the bucks unless they actually need it... don't want to throw off their PH.

Jess
    Faint-Hearted Ranch
    www.faintheartedranch.net

12. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    mommaB--BOSS=Black Oil Sunflower Seeds. They can be fed to any goat and are an excellent source of selenium and fatty acids.

13. LOL!! :slapfloor: Wow was I waaaaaay off!

14. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    LOL! That's okay, I had no idea what it meant either when I first saw it--your guess was as good as mine. :dance:

15. Renegade

Renegade New Member

Mar 1, 2008
    Georgia
    Our (Boer) show goats are fed Showtec pellets, Calf Manna, and boss. The rest of the crew get ADM Goat Power w/Alfalfa. Our goats have been doing great on these feeds.

Donna

16. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    Pasture & Woods. graze and browse. Right now they are getting fat and sassy on acorns and persimmons. Cargill Onyx mineral and crystalyx goat tubs. Mama's with kids get Acco Boer & Meat goat kibble.
    In the winter they get pasture hay and whole cottonseed.

17. shadycreekgoats

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Thanks for the suggestions & advice, everyone!!! :greengrin:

18. deineria

deineria New Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Huntington, WV
    Purnia goat chow, a bit of BOSS, Alfalfa pellets, and Hay to the does with a free choice mineral
    Alfalfa pellets and hay for the bucks