What do you feed?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by GotmygoatMTJ, Jan 21, 2011.

1. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Just wondering what everyone on here is feeding.
    Trying to get some new ideas.

We feed an 18% unmedicated sweet feed that is basically the 16% mare and foal horse feed with black oill sunflower seeds and some other things that I can't remember at the moment. LOL It does have ammonium chloride in it for the bucks.

Anyways, since we are raising the Nigis, we are still kinda foggy on how much a normal milking doe should be fed.

Last year we were giving them (our first 5 does that were seperate and very pregnant) 2 cups twice a day of the same feed mentioned above.

We are feeding 24 cups to a group of 20 does and 1 hermaphradite. Some are younger does, most are pregnant.

We also feed the 'Chaffhaye' alfalfa and the goats love it. :love:

Just wondering what else we should do or how much we should feed milkers.

2. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    WE feed a 16% milker mixed with alfalfa pellets (16%) and BOSS (I think the boss is 14%). We were feeding a goat chow in the place of the milker, but because we will start milking a couple in a few weeks we have switched to the milker till we start drying does off in the fall. Once we start milking we will add in some calf manna on the doe's that need it, to keep them in shape while they are producing. We feed about 2 to 3 cups a each. WE have lamanchas though. So far this works really well for us.

Bucks are getting a 12 or 14% sweet grain right now.

The doe's also get free choice grass hay and we fill the hay rack with alfalfa/crabb grass mix. Bucks are just on the Free choice grass hay.

3. comingsummers

comingsummers New Member

May 6, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Well... my girl that is in milk gets free choice oat hay, 3 cups 17% dairy goat grain, 3 cups 15% alfalfa pellet, and one cup shredded beet pulp. My FFs that are pregnant get free choice oat hay, one cup dairy grain, 2-1/2 cups alfalfa pellets, and 1/2 cup beet pulp. They also get free choice mineral and all the water they can drink. My girls are all full size and are doing very well. Hope this helps.

4. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I feed my kinders (15), nubians(2) and pygmies(2) alfalfa hay. The pregnant ones get a 7.5% sweet feed grain mix, 1 cup a day, in the last month only, with Molly's pregnancy tonic herb in it. The milking ones get a cup of the same grain (no pregnancy tonic) each time they are on the milking stand, so one a day if they are getting milked once, and two if they are getting milked twice. That's it. They get free choice loose Ranchway goat minerals and sodium bicarbonate. When I can get something else, they get half and half another kind of hay. For example, I have wheat hay that is coming next week. My hay guy stored it for me because I had no room for it, but then it was behind other hay and he couldn't get it. Alfalfa is the main agricultural crop in New Mexico, so it is hard to get other kinds of hay. (Who knew? It isn't green chili, I was surprised by that)

They are all fat. If I fed them the stuff you are all feeding they wouldn't be able to waddle. I guess they are easy keepers. If my big nubian is really pregnant and gets milk again this year she will get more grain than that. But part of the trouble we are having with the ultrasound is because she is really big (fat, but deep too, I don't know if that is a euphemism for fat, she is a big girl.). The only ones who aren't fat are the two bucks and the kinder wethers. The pygmy wether is fat.

Jan

5. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

I feed a 14% beef pellet from the feed store. I've only been feeding it for a little while, so I'm not sure how well it works. I also feed free choice mixed hay. For supplements I give apple cider vinegar, and free choice seaweed meal and loose minerals.

6. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Thank you all for your input on what you feed!!

Anybody else? :)

7. Dodge 'Em

Dodge 'Em New Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Cedar Hill,TN
    In my feeder I have Co-Op beef builder 13% with Rumensin, we buy it in bulk bags. at least 650# at a time, .13 a pound. At TSC, if they have any feed on clearance, I'm on it! The TSC feed, I hand feed if anyone is in the barn for any reason.

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have Manna Pro goat minerals free choice.
    I feed my preggy girls 1 cup 18% Goat Feed( Caprine Challenger by Blue Seal) with 1/4 cup BOSS
    My bucks currently get 18% with added cornmeal, oatmeal,BOSS and corn oil...made into a wet mash with hot water. ( My little pygmy buck has issues keeping weight on during winter)
    All get hayracks filled am and pm with either Alfalfa, mixed grass or clover or a mix of the 3.

9. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

I feed about the same mixture of grain as Liz does.

Right now I feed my goats in the big pasture free choice alfalfa, and goat minerals, baking soda too!

10. imaginationacres

imaginationacres New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Virginia
    I feed free choice mixed grass hay in the hayrack with a flake of alfalfa added in the morning on top and some mixed alfalfa/orchard flakes at night. They also browse freely about in the woods most days when I'm home, there is still a fair amount of pines and so forth to munch on.

The goats get a small amount of grain Dumor brand goat pellets (the non-sweet feed) mixed with BOSS and whole oats at night.
    2 of my does never dried up after kidding last march since their kids still live with them so they get an extra 2 cups of the grain mix at night.

ETA: My goats also get free choice Manna Pro minerals and baking soda. :)

11. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Wow. Almost everybody feeds different things, and they must all work!! xD

Right now we are feeding orchard grass mix with some other grasses.

When this hay runs out we plan on getting 3x3x8 square bales of Alfalfa (some of the best in the south, and its relatively cheap too!) They are HUGE flakes and its amazing hay. www.productionacres.com

Also, we have a slightly skinny Saanen doe. She is due to kid in March (we hope!). We are feeding her 1 cup in the morning and 3 cups in the evening of our 18% feed and a handful of Chaffhaye in the evening. What else can I give her to get her to gain some more weight?

12. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    I would add a bit of calf manna to her diet. I know I've heard others say something about beet pulp shreds to help with weight also, but I don't have any experience with the beet pulp. I just add some calf manna and make sure they have free choice hay in front of them at all times.

13. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

She has the free choice hay. How much calf manna should she have? Shes about 100lbs (shes pretty darn big for a yearling in my opinion!) just kinda thin.

Also, BIG question here. Has anyone fed just plain oats to bucks? I read that it is high in phosphorus. So I wonder if it would be a good feed to give the bucks solely? They are getting kinda chunky on the 18%...

14. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    We feed a 16% medicated goat feed we buy at a feedstore about 40 minutes away. Everyone around here that has goats highly recommended it plus it was MUCH cheaper than our local feed store's 'standard/unmedicated' goat feed.

We have boers, and feed one time a day. Our buck gets 2 1/2 cups at most, otherwise I give him about 2 cups. But I also give him hay 3x a day.
    The girls get around a cup to a cup and a half each, and free choice hay. My doe who has kids nursing gets a little over 2 cups a day. I was mixing in alfalfa pellets but she's not eating them much anymore - she does get a little bit of alfalfa during the day, but has all the mix hay she wants too.

I give free choice mineral and occassionally as a 'treat' I bring out a supplement block for them.

Since they aren't show goats or milking goats, they seem to be just fine with what we're doing :)