The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time, my boys need to get milk stand trained. Getting a bit too big for the lap hoof trimming. And I think it will make life much easier.

However, my only problem is that I don't have a milk room or a separate area in a barn to leave this 24/7, I can't just leave it in their pen. I don't trust them not to hurt themselves. So I needed to find something light enough that I can carry it in whenever I need it. I currently have a blue metal milk stand from valley vet, never set up. It's sat outside for about a year and is now just rusty and too heavy for me to use.

So I came across this wonderful PVC milk stand that I could easily carry in and out.

I don't need much to keep them still, I would surely not be doing this alone and would still have someone to hold them in place. So I don't need a "Fort Knox" of the milk stand designs. Has anybody had any experience with these?

IMG_6824.jpg
IMG_6823.jpg
IMG_6821.jpg
IMG_6822.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
For the metal stand that you already have... can you not put it outside their pen and just walk them to it when you need to? Rustoleum paint it and use it. Leave it up all the time and maybe just put a grill cover over it so it is not an eyesore. Put it in an out of the way place.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For the metal stand that you already have... can you not put it outside their pen and just walk them to it when you need to? Rustoleum paint it and use it. Leave it up all the time and maybe just put a grill cover over it so it is not an eyesore. Put it in an out of the way place.
Nope, they aren't leash trained well enough for that yet, and they freak out if you take them away from one another, even just through a fence. So then I'd have to deal with two goats out of their enclosure on a leash when they aren't well trained.

Plus, if they think that's where they get treats and brushes and like it they will try to get out to it when I open the gate to bring their feed.

All in all, NO, it's not possible.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I cannot visualize Eddie or Freddie being able to panic. Keeping together, yes, but being afraid of a leash?

Is that really so?

So, if they are used to trimming in your lap, why not simply use the horse style? Have someone keeping them from running around, or knocking one another out of your reach, and just lift one hoof after the other, trim, and let go? That is how I did it, mine were too big for the lap.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cannot visualize Eddie or Freddie being able to panic. Keeping together, yes, but being afraid of a leash?

Is that really so?
Eddie loves to walk. Freddie panics. And as soon as Eddie walks away, he panics more.

With enough training I could get them both there.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Is that really so?

So, if they are used to trimming in your lap, why not simply use the horse style? Have someone keeping them from running around, or knocking one another out of your reach, and just lift one hoof after the other, trim, and let go? That is how I did it, mine were too big for the lap.
I probably could, but I would need to halter them or have a collar or something, and then I'd need to get that onto them, which they would hate, because they panic when they have a collar or halter on. Milk stand is the easiest option for me, but even with the stand, someone will still hold them still.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Best I make a new entry, then: If you let them be together, can they accept being tied to a log, being fed treats, and you lift one hoof for trimming?
I've never tied them to anything. They would surely freak out and panic. If they were in a milk stand I think they would have less ability to move around and possibly tangle themselves as they could being tied.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Each time they are released because of freaking out or fighting being restrained, you are rewarding bad behavior. They are being taught throwing a fit gets them released.
I've only released them twice maybe. And this was a year ago. The last time I put halters on they didn't freak out, just tried to rub them off and shake their heads. So I'm gonna go with halters.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Back to the milk stand, that looks like it would be easy to tip, and if he (either of the hes) were headlocked when it went over, that would cause an aversion to ever going on it. My milk stand is an absolute beast of a thing, and one reason it is so stable is that on the very bottom of the legs, at floor level, are boards running cross ways. from leg across to leg, BUT also the board sticks out about 6 inches on either side. So the length of the board is 6 inches, and then 22 inches (from leg to leg) and then a further 6 inches. So in fighting, it does not tip. Very stable. Since PVC is pretty easy to work and easy to buy, perhaps a slight tweak in the design could incorporate this stabilizing influence?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Back to the milk stand, that looks like it would be easy to tip, and if he (either of the hes) were headlocked when it went over, that would cause an aversion to ever going on it. My milk stand is an absolute beast of a thing, and one reason it is so stable is that on the very bottom of the legs, at floor level, are boards running cross ways. from leg across to leg, BUT also the board sticks out about 6 inches on either side. So the length of the board is 6 inches, and then 22 inches (from leg to leg) and then a further 6 inches. So in fighting, it does not tip. Very stable. Since PVC is pretty easy to work and easy to buy, perhaps a slight tweak in the design could incorporate this stabilizing influence?
I would have someone hold it to keep it steady.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
How does the headlock close on that design? I can't figure that out.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts