What do you "have to have" in your goaty medicine cabinet...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Trace, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    ... I am getting ready to place a jeffers order - and wanted to see what you guys think that I can;t live without.

I have two does - one of which has already had frothy bloat once :(. I am not breeding or milking - these are just my pets. :)

Suggestions please.......

:)

2. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

Since you are not breeding it would be "nice" but not "needed" to have:
    a calcium supplement (MFO or CMPK) use sparingly and only when needed
    a copper bolus. I like cattle ones which I divide and get in marshmellows use only as needed based on how deficient your region is. I do twice a year, we are very deficient.
    Cocci treatment. Everyone has their favorites. I like Di-Methox for prevention. I have not needed to treat, so I don't have a preference there...
    a selenium/vit E gel. again use only as needed.
    I don't need any B supplements, not even something like BoSe but many owners like to have it handy. I also do not use probios - if you read the label objectively you will see it says it "may" help in "some" cases. It really does not contain enough bacteria to affect the way a goat's digestive system works without large amounts given over vast periods of time. However, if it helps you feel more secure when your goat is not eating well, it will not do any harm...

The good stuff to have:
    Blood stop powder
    Iodine
    Sharp shears
    Tetanus vaccine with needles and syringes

That's all I can think of right now, but others will give good advice I'm sure!!

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Activated charcoal gel
    Probiotic paste
    electrolyte powder
    B Complex injectible
    Needles 20 gauge
    Syringes...3 cc and a few 10cc

4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I keep these items around at all times:
    Thermometer
    Iodine
    Sterile gauze
    vet wrap
    Nutridrench
    Probios
    Activated Charcoal
    Milk of Magnesia
    Cooking oil
    CMPK (I have the oral version)
    Feeding Syringe (for drenching)
    3cc and 6cc syringes with 22 gauge needles
    Fortified vitamin B complex (injectable)
    Penicillan
    LA-200

There's probably more...this is what I could come up with off the top of my head at the moment and should cover the most important items.

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Here is what i keep.
    Batadine, iodine scrub, gauze pads, vet wrap, vit b complex, can never have too many needles and syringes, cotten balls, i have a sealed baggy that has clean scissors in it. Things to wash wounds with, LA 200, calcium drench (CMPK), activated charcoal, mineral oil, teramycin, latex gloves, I keep a piece of paper taped to the under side of the box lid (or inside of the the cupboard) that has my vets phone number as well as a couple of back up vets. as well as some goat friends i can call in an emergency. you never know when youre going to panic and not remember those numbers. I also show the person house sitting for me thie spot so they know. I usually put my own numbers on there too if i go out of town.
    beth