The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the people who show steers when selecting your steers what do you look for? I will be showing herefords and I will pick out of the 145 herefords that we have so i need to know what I am looking for!

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts

·
2,203 Posts
You want extreme length, depth, width through the body as possible. Nice blending of parts, especially the chine and topline and the neck and shoulders. You want a nice hard topline with no weakness. Good set of feet and legs, correct foot angle. Straight nose, wide muzzle.

From the front you want extreme width between the front legs, suggesting lung capacity and increased feed intake (which suggests ample milk, and profitability from rate of gain and longevity). Straight legs, no knocked knees or bows.

From the rear you want a nice wide flat rump with good angle, straight set of rear legs set nicely underneath him. Ample width. You want to see him track correctly on the Pasterns and no snapping of the joints, suggesting weakness.

From the side you want supreme depth of rib, sprung wide open and ribs spaced evenly. Decent fat covering. Proper thurl placement. Correct rump angle. Good brisket. Length of body.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts