What do you plant in a pasture?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Shantarskiye, May 5, 2009.

1. Shantarskiye

Shantarskiye Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Indiana
    I was going to put this in “Goat Sense 101”, but there is no place to start a new topic! :?

We are renting an acre from a farmer who owns the land around us and we want to plant pasture for the goats so we can rotate pasture. What do we plant? Any suggestions would be very helpful! And, is dock safe for goats? I have read that it is not, but our pasture is full of it and I think they ate it last year…but I’m not really sure. Once I read that bittersweet nightshade is extremely dangerous for goats and ours ate three big plants that was in the pasture and never had a problem. Is it just one of those things that depends on the goats? :shrug:

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    We are putting a pasture grass for dry areas. We are just hoping to fill in some bare spots from the droughts we have had.

3. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

we just planted pasture mix too- I forget the brand but its 25% alfalfa %25 timothy then there is some orchard grass and kentucky blue grass and clover as well
    It just started sprouting- the goaties will be in heaven this summer :greengrin:

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Our goats avoid the nightshade, we had one eat it once with very bad consequences. We don't have any dock in our pasture so I can't help you there.

For grass, orchard, brome, perennial rye, timothy and sercia lespedza(sp?) are good grasses to plant with a little(not much or it will take over) alfalfa or clover in it.