The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She is 5 almost 6 months old. I'm thinking about showing her in the fair next year and was wondering how good of a chance i would have based on her confirmation.
:)
And I'm using my phone so i really hope the pics. Upload with this

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This might be a stupid question but what is a mamary system? And will she be judged different is she has or hasent been bred?

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
I would say.... she has a weak chine, a steep rump, and she is very stout... I don't know if I would show her.... but I am not a judge and not very good AT judging.

She is very cute though. :) Mammary system is her udder.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
I think I may have told you this before, but I don't know if their udder conformation (mammary system, as Quinn called it) is judged, since Pygmies aren't a dairy goat breed. :confused:

Anyway...

Pros-
*width
*depth
*great body capacity
*nice, wide chest
*straight fore legs
*good rear leg angulation

Cons-
*a bit weak in the chine
*taller hindquarters (may just be because she isn't set up completely)
*lacks a tad bit of length
*rump is steep
*weak front pasterns?

She is very pretty! I like how thick and meaty she is for a Pygmy. She has potential, so if she keeps growing like she is, than I think she might be a nice show doe. :) You could always take her for a spin and see the outcome. Worth a shot!

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
She looks more Nigerian Dwarf than Pygmy to me :)
Reason's being:

The color is not right for a pygmy. Pygmies are also very stout and pot bellied. Your doeling is more refined and dairy-like. I went out and got a picture of my Nigerian Dwarf doe who has a similar color pattern to your doe. I also got a couple pics of two of my pygmies (a doe and buck) so you can see the body shape and color of them.

Here is a link to pygmy goat coloration:
http://www.npga-pygmy.com/resources/conformation/color_chart.asp
http://www.npga-pygmy.com/resources/conformation/pygmy_color_guidelines.asp

And some pics:

Okay well they are taking a while to upload so I will post them when they do!

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Okay here are the pics.

First: Pygmy Buck ( I will say they he has a hay belly, BUT you can see his coloration, and how he is stout)

Second: Pygmy Doe

Third: Nigerian Doe (You can see a very similar color pattern that your doe has, and the pygmies do not have)

Sorry for her being covered in hay, and the funny face :p

Fourth: 50% Pygmy, 50% Nigerian Dwarf Wether

Then there's nasty butt in the back hahaha and the wether's dam in the back right.

Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Were do yall find this info? Can i have names if books or web links? Please
And the mother was sold to me as a pygmy....and i have trouble telling the breeds apart so i was assuming she didn't look like pygmy breed standards bc she had a bad build ._.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Hmm. I have to disagree... I thought cream with black socks is a very common Pygmy color :shrug: I definitely have seen it a lot. And this little one looks pretty Pygmy to me. She will probably get heftier once she is full grown! But, I am no expert, especially on miniature breeds. Maybe she is a Nigerian/Pygmy cross?

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I don't remember hearing that Pygmies can't have blue eyes, but it honestly wouldn't surprise me. Breed standards for pygmies are pretty strict. Though I do remember seeing quite a few registered blue eyed pygmies last year. But she is 100% (in my mind) Nigerian.

This is why I buy registered goats. You get lineage, age, conformation on the breed, etc, all on one paper!

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
She's got too many other colors going on for me to say pygmy...

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Here are a couple links from the NPGA website on colors.

http://www.npga-pygmy.com/resources/conformation/color_chart.asp
http://www.npga-pygmy.com/resources/conformation/color_samples.asp
The second one DOES have some pictures of goats that look similar to Caitlin's, but on her goats stockings, they have more mixed colors then the ones on the website.
Also, I breed pygmy goats, along with Nigerian Dwarf Goats. Ours really don't get any special feed. At 5-6 months old, they are much more stockier than Caitlin's. Caitlin's goat is more along the lines of a 5-6 month old Nigerian Dwarf. Unless she is severely underfed, which she doesn't appear to be, I would still say Nigerian. :)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Also, if you compare her coat to a pygmy goats coat, you can see a large difference there, too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts