The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read that a judge has added Sarah to the transplant list...at least until they can have an actual hearing about it.

I think the transplant rules were "made" in 1984...not sure if they've been updated since then. And, they are doing wonderful things with the transplantation of human organs. They said they can make an adult lung fit her. I don't know how it works with "cystic fibrosis", is a new lung an effective "cure" for this disease?

I am really happy for Sarah and her family, and really sad for the next person on the list...that is very sick but won't get the lung because it will go to Sarah...what an awful decision to have to make.

I think that organs should go to folks that have health problems "not of their own making" first. I would think it very unfair for the lung to go to a "former" smoker for instance...if you kill your own lungs...why should you get a new one?

I have signed my "donor" card...what do you all think? Would you donate organs from a family member? I've told everyone in my family...sign as a donor...I will donate your organs if you are "gone"...I'm afraid I am one that feels that once your soul has gone...the "earthly remains" are insignificant. I'd much rather "things" got some more use...the ultimate in recycling!

·
goat girl x0x0
2,478 Posts
I'm listed as a full donor on my license, so I basically agreed to let them take any useable part from me if something happened.
I don't see why people wouldn't. You're dead. Your organs don't have anything to do anymore.
Eta: sorry if that was slightly off topic, I don't know what this Sarah situation is.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
As far as a cure for Cystic Fibrosis, no it is not a cure. However, it buys them time. The newly transplanted lung will eventually get diseased as well. I read somewhere that a new lung usually gives them about 3 years.

Yes, I would donate and have seen the donation help people. My 8 year old cousin died of a dissected artery in her brain and her parents gave her heart, eyes and lungs to 4 people. They actually received thank yous from the families of those people via their doctor. It made them feel good to know that she lived on somewhere.

As for being a donor. Make sure your family is aware of your wishes. If your husband/ wife/ parents disagree they can refuse the donation even if you have a donor card or it is designated on your license...

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I have made plans to donate my body to science. I have a chronic illness and wanted the medical schools to be able to help find a cure. It is easy to do. And certainly decreases the cost of a funeral to next to nothing as they cremate what they dont use and then your loved ones can put your ashes wherever you want.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, I should have noted (for those that don't watch as much news as I do, and those overseas). Sarah, is a 10 yo girl with cystic fibrosis, that is too young for the "adult" donated organs, and therefore must rely on the "child" donated organs which is a much smaller "pool" of organs. Due to advances in transplant procedures they are now able (so they say) to "resize" the adult organs to work in the smaller body of a child. Sarah would have been at the top of the list, except for her age. She got a judge to rule in her favor and now she received her new lungs yesterday (she was in a near death situation by this time). They say the "wait" time for adult lungs is 18 mos!

I am very sad to hear that these lungs will also be killed over time by this disease. I'm not sure that 3 years (although I don't know what the average length of life is after any transplant) is enough to put the next person on the list in jeopardy. I guess I'll continue to pray about it. :confused:

·
owned by goats
4,614 Posts
I don't agree with you, but I respect your freedom to feel the way you do and to express your belief.

I'd have to look it up, but I have a feeling that the extended life expectancy of lung transplant receivers isn't very lengthy anyway.

I just think its too much like playing god to start deciding who is worthy of receiving donated organs. How/where would you stop? The available organ should go to the person who needs it immediately, ie. the person who is closest to death who can be saved by the organ.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
The available organ should go to the person who needs it immediately, ie. the person who is closest to death who can be saved by the organ.
I agree with this here. I really have not heard anything about this Sarah, so am not sure what it is all about.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts