What do you think is best?(Dairy peoples!!) **Updated 4/9**

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Dover Farms, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Get Just Fooled You

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Get Maylin

53.3%
  3. Don't get either...just keep a Flicka X Laredo doe kid

46.7%
  1. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Okay...so I am kind of in a dilemma! There are two does I am looking at from Nicole. One is Maylin(Dam: CH Quarter Mile Minnie's Mulieke Sire: *B LakeShore Ace Roulette) and the other is Just Fooled You(Dam: LakeShore-Farms DEX Sahara Sire: *B LakeShore EX Summer Sin). And either way if I get a doe from Nicole or not I am planning on keeping a doe kid out of Flicka and Laredo(if that's what we end up calling him...we're getting tired of looking). Flicka is a maternal granddaughter of Roulette and Laredo is a Roulette son.

Good things about Maylin: Roulette has awesome daughters...Flicka's dam, Faylin, is a gorgeous doe! Maylin got her dry leg last year as a dry yearling. She is a nice girl, very well put together....Mulieke is also a very pretty doe. Bad things: Maylin is not as level across the rump as Mulieke is and she needs a longer neck.

Good things about Just Fooled You: She is very long, sharp, and dairy. Her dam, Sahara, scored 44 on Rear Udder Arch in 2006. I am pretty sure she has a nicer topline than Sahara(it was hard to tell..she was bouncing all over the place). I believe she also has her dry leg. Bad things: She has Sahara's short ears. She is also a little on the small side, but Sahara isn't a small doe.

What do you think? I think I may have ruled out Maylin because of the Flicka X Laredo cross kids since they will be linebred on Roulette. I am not a fan of short Nubian ears, but both of the bucks we are getting this year should be ear bucks. What I would hope with Just Fooled You is that she gets most of Sahara's good qualities...which, so far she has the sharpness, length, and dairyness. She did get those ears, however. Anyways...I am hoping that she would also get some of Sahara's good udder qualities...plus Sin is a very nice buck! Like I said before...I am keeping a Flicka X Laredo doe kid if I get Maylin or Just Fooled You or neither of them. Oh and another thing...when I was doing my prayers yesterday and just sitting there...Just Fooled You kept poping into my head...maybe a sign from God?

2. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Re: What do you think is best?

I really like Maylin alot, I like them both alot... Just get 'em both! That'll solve the problem. :stars:

3. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio

Sure! That's what you would do! :ROFL: Unfortunately.....two does is not an option. :( Besides...I really need to stop at four bought does for my foundation. For Americans I have Millie(not the best show quality) and Libby(better....much better). And for Purebreds I have Flicka and either Maylin or Just Fooled You(I am not sure what she calls her for short) or neither. This year I will only have one homebred doe and that's one of Libby's girls and the rest will be bought.

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois

I feel sorry for you, they are both really nice!! :lol:

Honestly though, I think I like Maylin better, she has more style, better body capacity, and I like her dam(didn't find Fooled's dam)

So are you still keeping a kid out of Flicka then if you get one of these does?

5. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio

Nicole sold Sahara because she wasn't THE nicest doe. She had a lot of good qualities, but she also had short ears, not a very nice back, and was a bit steep in the rump. Here is a link to the page LakeShore had for her: http://www.lakeshorefarms.com/sahara.htm I just talked to Nicole a little while ago and she said that Fooled is level across the topline, but does have more of a steep rump than she would like.

This is really hard, but I am waiting until everybody freshens to make my final decision. Nicole told me she wants be to get the best one possible before she tells other people that they will be available. :greengrin: There are other yearlings that she might sell, too...but she doesn't know who yet.

Yes, I will keep a doe kid out of Flicka next year no matter what...that is unless she doesn't have one of course! :roll: :lol: Watch now...she'll probably have doe kids this year and bucks next year! :doh:

6. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio

Anybody else?? Please!

Who voted for Fooled? Why? Just curious! I want everyones opinions!!! :greengrin:

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois

Wow, look at Sahara's udder width, that's probably the best thing I like about her, otherwise, I like Maylin's dam more, and I like Roullette's dam more than Sin's. That's just my opinion. I think either way you'd be good.

8. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio

Thanks!

Anybody else?????

9. hornless

hornless New Member

Oct 5, 2007

I voted for Fooled You... I did not see her pictures, but just from your description, it sounds like she is the doe for you.

10. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio

Thank you!

I forgot to post the link to their pics. This link will go to the page that Fool is on: http://www.autumnacresfarm.com/Nubian%20Jr.%20Does.htm Then if you go to the FF page....Maylin is there. And on the Sr. Does page..you'll find Mulieke.

11. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
  12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois

LOL we posted at the same time :D

13. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio

LOL! I guess we did!

Thank you everyone!

Anybody else? I know there are more dairy breeders on here than that!! :wink: :lol:

14. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa

Who are you leaning towards now Jacque? I really love Maylin. :thumbup:

15. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

I absolutely LOVE Maylin! I think she looks really stylish and correct. At least from what I've been learning from you guys. :wink:

16. eliya

eliya New Member

I like Maylin best. I like her body type better, her rear leg set and her breed character. She has a nice, high and wide escutcheon which will leave lots of room for an udder. I also like her dam's topline and body capacity better than Just Fooled You's dam. Maylin's dam's udder is nice although it could be a little larger. Maylin's sire's dam looks wonderful. She will be getting her udder from her sire's dam so this is an important place to look

As for Just Fooled You, I don't like the udder on Sin's dam - http://autumnacresfarm.com/Nubian%20Bucks.htm I much prefer Roulette's dam's udder - http://www.lakeshorefarms.com/tangaroo.htm I just overall prefer Maylin over Just Fooled You.

17. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio

Wow...I guess I am surprised. Summer is a gorgeous doe. So is Tangaroo. Eliya...why don't you like Summer's udder? You'll never get another rear udder pic of her....that is her 2 yo FF udder. That fall when they were drying her up she got gangreen(SP?) and lost half of her udder. Just thought I would let you know. Good thing she finished her championship that year.

Tangaroo's LA scores (05-05 90 VVEE) :
    http://www.adgagenetics.org/GoatDetail. ... N001196493

Summer's LA scores (04-03 92 EEEE):
    http://www.adgagenetics.org/GoatDetail. ... N001255918

18. eliya

eliya New Member

Well, I guess I should say I like Tangaroo's udder better than Summer's. I like the attachment better on Tangaroo and her medial is much better. Summer's teats are also not as correct as Tangaroo's. They are nice and long, but turn out a little. Tangaroo's udder is a bit wider also. I like the picture of Summer that is on the Lakeshore's website better than the one on the Autumn Acres site - her rear udder looks much nicer. She is a very nice doe overall, but I just like the rear view of Tangaroo's udder better than the rear shot of Summer's. It is certainly a hard choice as they are both nice animals. I remember when I was trying to choose my MiniNubian kids from Dannette's herd - it is SOOOOOOOO hard!!!

19. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio

Thank you for explaining. Don't think I don't appreciate your opinion, because I do. I just have never heard that anyone didn't like Summer. :)

She got her milking star last year with half an udder. LakeShore also said that when she freshened in 2006 after loosing half her udder that fall....she milked 9.5 lbs!

Here you can see a 3 yo pic of her: http://www.hoanbu.com/NubianHerdsires.html Scroll down to the 2nd buck, LakeShore EX Summer Exodus. Then if you scroll down to the 3rd buck, Kastdemur's Free and Easy, his dam is a paternal sister to Summer. Breeze, Easy's dam, is another Doctor Luke daughter that appraised EX 92 EEEE last year. I think Luke had three daughters appraise that last year.

20. eliya

eliya New Member

WOW, what a doe! I just didn't like the rear udder picture of her I guess. I should have look at more pictures, but from the two that were on the bucks page of the Autumn Acres site, she didn't look as nice as the other doe. Just goes to show what a picture can say. Or not say! She certainly is a lovely doe and her udder looks much better in the side pictures than that one rear udder shot. Beautiful topline and body capacity (which also didn't show in the photo at Autumn Acres). And wow! 9.5 lbs on half an udder!?!?! That's one GOOOOD milker!!!

Now the choice is even harder! Come on, can't you just get them both?!