What do you think of these Alpines?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Dreamchaser, May 8, 2009.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Yes, they are pretty, but size wise? I can't figure out how big they are by looking at them... The mom looks like she is medium, and the buckling looks like he might end up being fairly large, but I don't know much about growing goats so... My own Alpine doe is 31 inches at the withers, don't know how big that is compared to others, I just know she is way bigger than others I have seen.

Edit: here is what she told me about the doe.
    "Measured Kathleen and she was between 26 and 27 inches at the withers.
    Not really sure how this measures up to the others you have seen. Don't know if Kathleen will grow anymore. She was born 1-31-08, so that makes her 1 yrs 3-1/2 months old.
    Good luck in you search."

Bruno the buckling is 4 months old.

Here are the pics she sent me:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These guys are papered, the doe is dreamfinder kathleen? Dunno.

2. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    Pretty Alpines. Alpines do not meet there full growth potential for about 3-4 years.

A full grown alpine doe should not be less than 30" at the wethers.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she looks fairly small but she has some growing time left. Goats arent full grown till 4 years old but I find that by 2 - 21/2 you have the basic size the goat will be.

4. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    How about the buckling? He looks pretty big already. I'm going to ask about his pedigree. Maybe that will give me some idea what his size will be. I'm a little afraid to get a huge buck, only because I don't want the kids to be too big for the doe to birth.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    large buck can throw small kids.

Example:

2007 used Bandit. He threw 1 small singles and 1 set of small twins. 2008 same does as before he threw 2 large singles and 1 set of small triplets (and I mean small). on three differnt does he threw average size twins, 1 large single & average sized quads with one being a premie and tiny. two of the does the previous year had been bred to his brother Banshee and had a large singles each.

Bandit was bigger then his brother Banshee

2009 Luthor was bred to all three of my girls and 2 of his owners does. He this year so far has had 3 sets of average size twins (angie's being fairly small) and 1 large single a buck kid. I still have Sweet Pea left to kid.

TO me it is the luck of the drawl -- also feeding of the doe and if they have singles, twins or more.

6. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Hmm. Okay. Maybe it's actually the doe/grand-doe that holds the size? The lady I bought my Apline from told me that she always throws large kids.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    They look good to me..... :wink: :greengrin:

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    checking into the lines isnt a bad idea - find out on the sir and dam's side if they had large kids or not - its leg work but if you are real concerned that is what I would do.

Another thing to do to reduce kid size is to cut back on grain towards teh end of the pregnancy. They need it most between 60 and 120 days but after the 120 day mark you can cut back to about half on grain.

I didnt do this as much with Lola's kids and they were bigger then Angie's thankfully seh was a third timer and had no difficulties what so ever but her kids were almost a whole pound bigger and had larger heads.

There was a study done in pygmy goats and it was found that they need most of the grain in that 60 day period when they are developing the most but if fed to much in the later part of the pregnancy the kids just use it to grow in size creating difficult births.

I have found it helpful to reduce the grain in that last month- when I havent, I have regretted it.

9. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I can only afford one of them. Not really set up for a buck yet, but want one. The doe is a pretty chamoisee it looks like. I am kindof wanting a brown Alpine, but I have small acreage, and have to choosey. Would rather put out the big bucks later for either a great buck, or maybe a doe. What would you do? These guys are more affordable though. $200 for the buck, $250 for the doe. Is that good?

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    200 for the buck? depends on his lines. Otherwise no I wouldnt spend more then 150 on him since he cant be shown and he has horns which can be distructive.

the doe would be my choice if I were to purchase anything.

Remember one buck is half your herd. - you want a good one so be sure he is all you want before you put your money down. Does his mom's udder meet your standards? will he improve the udders on your does? Now if you arent showing then this all doesnt matter to much but a better attached udder and teat size makes milking easier if that is your only goal.

11. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    True, and he isn't really very level, and neither is his mom. All the bucks I am looking at are at least $400, $1500. Guess I'll be saving my pennies....for a LONG time. Don't think I'll be breeding this fall either. :/ Does I am looking at are about the same price. I am NEVER going to get anywhere. *head desk*

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    look into stud services. Breeders are always looking to make a littl emoney off studding out their bucks. You can then sell kids next year which can pay for your new doe or new buck :D

13. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    That's the problem. No Alpine breeders here in this state. And the only reputable goat breeder I have found has a closed herd (Saanens, not alpines). I don't trust the backyard breeders here, it's that bad.

14. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    I just sent you a PM with a list of breeders in AZ that offer breeding services, mind you that is not all of the ones listed that raise Alpines but just the ones that offer breeding services. I am just not sure if any of them are close to you or not. Good Luck.

15. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Thanks Carol, I replied back. Oh, but you didn't say what the breeder were in your PM. Which are Alpines, and what are the others that they breed.

16. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    Sorry, I only listed the ones that offer stud service for Alpines & American Alpines, now some raise other breeds too, but I specifically looked for the Alpines.

17. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Oh okay, great! I was a little confused.

Hey I clicked your website. Whats up with that one doe, the one that you think is sterile. She's so pretty. Is there a test for her?

18. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    When we got her from the breeder the breeder told us at that time they thought she was sterile as she never settled, we got her as a companion doe. I have had her since 2006 and she has never settled, nor has she actually had a complete heat cycle. I'm sure the vet could run some sort of test to confirm if or what is wrong with her.

19. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I am assuming that she was kept exclusively with a buck for a while to make sure at one point. That's too bad. She looks like she would have great kids if she ever took. Wish I could try my luck with her. And even if she never took, she could be my future buck's companion goat right?

I'd really like to find a large brown buck, one that has the looks of an oberhasli. I am assuming this is a brown chamoisee. Hoping to throw some flashy wethers for cart pulling/pack goats. I can sell the females for milk goats. Hoping I won't have to sell too many for meat purposes.

You know me, can't have enough going on 'till I die of exhaustion!

20. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

The buckling looks about right for his age. The doe i think even for an alpine thats not done growing is quite small. She looks to be about eighty lbs now. Maybe less. I like my alpines to be about eight lbs when i breed them. My does usually top out between one fifty and one seventy five lbs when they are four years old. My bucks usually two hundred to two fifty. I like bigger animals.
    beth