The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
They are cute, and the price is right, but me personally I would be asking about if they have been tested for at least CAE, if not all the nasties such as CL or Johnnes disease. That is just a suggestion. Just because an animal looks healthy doesn't necessary mean they are.

·
Premium Member
10,547 Posts
What's a CDC shot??
I believe you mean CDT, It is a shoe for ever eaters and help prevent bloat, and tetanus, (good thing), ask how many shots they got and if mom get hers 2-4 weeks before they were born.

I think they are adorable goats.

·
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The owner emailed back, said they are still for sale. They have different dads and different moms, but their moms are mother and daughter, making them second cousins, or just cousins? Is that distant enough to possibly breed him to her when she's old enough? I don't NEED another doe, but she's cute and a good price! Going to base my decision on what you guys tell me about breeding them together. I will email and ask if they've been tested for all those diseases.

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,343 Posts
Personally I don't like any inbreeding, but maybe someone who does linebreeding can give you a better answer as to how distant they should be. I like the male better.

·
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have been emailing with the owner, he says that they haven't been tested for CL, CAE or Johnes, but barely anyone in my area does. He also says they got their 'spring shots' and that they've been on pellet wormer and had they're feet checked by a farrier, but that they didn't need a hoof trim. But I can always do that myself. I talked with my parents about it and have decided to buy them :) I'm going to set up a time to go meet them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts