What do you think of this buck?

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by Epona142, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

Down a little, the mostly white buck named Kelton.

Okay, story here!

I have made a lot of great new friends, all goat keepers in my area. And we all know each other, how fun.

One of them (Leah) lives just a couple houses down from my new house. She has Buckly (my buck) right now and he is breeding her does. I get "pick of the crop."

Now Taylor, another friend, would like to use Buckly as well. (Busy boy!)

She offered her buck, Kelton, as "payment" for Buckly's services, with the agreement I allow her to breed to him in the future. Or I can choose a kid that Buckly produces with her does.

I really want another buck, just to have that different blood line so that I can avoid inbreeding when I keep some of my doelings next year. I'm actually on Taylor's waiting list for a buck(ling) and I am on a waiting list at another farm (who we all know too!) but her doe delivered a single doeling this year, which they retained.

The buck Taylor has looks very small; Hope is 21 inches at the shoulder and I don't want to have to get the buck a stepping stool if I decide to breed them! :ROFL:

Okay, so if any of my ramblings made sense, please comment. :greengrin:

(And yes, both Leah and Taylor's herds are tested and are clean.)

EDITED TO ADD: Okay, I see that he is eight months old. Is it normal to have horns that large at that age? He is a buck, after all, but goodness. Will he continue to grow and get taller if he's only eight months old?

Edited AGAIN: She also sent me a picture of the buck's sire, and he is drop dead gorgeous. Very correct. Does that make a difference? I wonder if she has a picture of his dam.
  2. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Well i cant tell much about him from those pictures
    yes he will grow probably to almost 2 years old.

But I would go for the Alexander Farm buck if she's willing. His price is only $25 bucks more and Id be willing to throw that money in if she wanted it!- he looks really nice- and has moonspots to boot.
    And I REALLY like his pedigree!

3. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Well I cant really say.. The pictures are not that great for judging conformation, and there is no pedigree info :shrug:

Do you know any info about his relatives (Mostly his dam and her side)?

4. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Oooh you're right. I've loved that buck of hers since I laid eyes on him.

Sending her another e-mail. :greengrin:

Also asking for Kelton's pedigree.

Edited to add: The Sundance buck is sold. :(
    She is going to get Kelton's pedigree for me and maybe some better pictures as well.
  5. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I can't tell much from those photos, I would get a pic of his dam's udder ect. before I decided. He does have pretty markings though :wink: