What do you think of this buck?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by firelight27, Oct 11, 2010.

1. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    My Tomahawk is now a little over 8 months old. I have some new photos, although he is furry. Can you judge his conformation at all? Of course his fur distorts his topline some. His legs were turning in from behind when I got him. They are straight now, but I worry about his rear leg angulation at this point...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can't see it in the grass, but although his legs are straight, his toes point out more than I'd like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How do you think he'd do in a show ring? I showed him once when I got him, at 4 months. But I picked him up at the show and the breeder didn't clip him like I thought they would, and didn't train him like they said they would. So he mostly laid down or hunched in a ball or flopped around and the judges couldn't evaluate him.

Also, how about this guy? I haven't been able to sell him, so I planned on showing him and test breeding him then trying to market him more next spring:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^Shrunk it and now can't resize it and I left the SD card with the photos at home.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I like the dark kid a lot

the 8 month old seems to have a good rear width but like you said I cant see if he toes out or not. I would like to see more brisket on him.

The dark kid has a nice level topline, good extension of the brisket, nice length that is higher at the withers and blends into a long neck. And if shaved I am sure his rear angulation would pop out more. NOt sure about his toes but he has good things going for him. If his dam's udder is nice then he could be a good herd sire.

3. Riot_My_Love

Riot_My_Love New Member

I agree entirely with Stacey.

4. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

I agree....Dutch looks amazing!

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Handsome boys. ;)

On Tomahawk i'd like to see more rear leg angulation, a more level rump, and overall if he could be a little more tight and sharp looking...in the shoulders and such he would look nicer. He sure has a lot of color!

I like the young buck better actually. He looks long and level. Basically what Stacey said about him...I totally agree. I would like to see a bit more rear leg angulation on this guy as well, but it might look way different after he's shaved or as he matures. And maybe a longer neck...could be all his fur...again if he was shaved he may look better. Right now he looks sharp and has a lot of eye appeal. Should make a nice buck.

6. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Thanks guys! I will get pictures of them both next spring when they are shaved. And we'll see what Tomahawk produces. I think he should produce nice kids, but the legs are what bother me the most on him. I might keep an improved daughter or two from him, and then sell him and get some completely new blood. I'm always looking for new lines to add into my herd.

I love, love, love the dark little boy. His name is Dutch. However, he is too closely related to 3 of my girls, so I'd be limited in how I can use him. I am getting a couple of new does at the end of this month and I plan on using him on at least one. Then I will take him into the show pen next spring and try to sell him again, after he has proven himself a little as a sire and in the ring.

7. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Its too bad you have related girls. He looks really nice, and I love his coloring! Plus he has blue eyes! lol

8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    yea i agree with stacey on this one

9. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Definitely like the darker boy... he has much better body length, much better angulation in the rear, much better rump, much better overall appearance, in fact the only thing that I'm not sure about are his feet of course and the length of his neck...I think his neck could be a touch longer to blend better with his nice long body. But overall he looks very nice! Definitely nice enough that if I was looking for a herdsire...I'd start wanting info on his momma & udders in his pedigree. I really don't see why he wouldn't sell as a herdsire if his mom has a nice udder. He even has a masculine, "I'm ready to work!" kindof expression about him :)