What do you think of this buck?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Amos, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I need a buck for my 2010 girls.. I'd like to continue to breed some quality animals.. Am hoping to get into showing eventually.

I'm looking at the first Nubian buck on this page;
    http://www.poplarhillfarm.com/bucksale.asp

I contacted the breeder and she says he has filled out more since the picture was taken... I haven't committed because of the price though. I've paid more for a buck but for that price I'm kind of expecting more.. I'm not sure. I'm not that good at critiquing yet.. what does everyone else think?
    She said his dam had a great udder but got gangrene mastitis. There is a link for her photo, as well as this link http://www.poplarhillfarm.com/onyz.asp which shows three of her half sisters and sire.

Opinions?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    To me...he's too level, doesn't have an uphill stance. Also...wether it was just the pic IDK..But theres something odd with his scrotum...it appears to have either a large split or theres only one teste.

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
  4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    oh, looking at the wrong buck..wow, he's got something up with his testicles

5. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I thought the scrotum looked a little odd but I think it's just the picture. She didn't mention anything about it.. I kind of wanted higher DHIA numbers but what do I know?

I'd consider a Blissberry buck but I bought one out of Rockin' Robin and Most Wanted in 2009 and I'm still recovering from the cost. Lol. Well worth it but I can't spend that kind of $$ again.

6. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    I would definitely pass. I don't think this buck will improve the daughters from your Blissberry buck. I'd look for some more bloodlines simular to the buck you have. So, something with more Kastdemur's. That is, if you are pleased with what your buck is throwing.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I wouldn't pay 300 for him! He has no rear angulation and his scrotum is not right - I don't think its the picture either because its in all the pics.

I know of a farm that has blissberry lines let me find the farm link and see if they are close enough to you

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  9. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Bethany's buck is the littermate to Amos' buck, I am pretty sure.

I also co-own a paternal 1/2 brother to your buck, he is out of Alibi and Most Wanted. I do have a buck kid out of Alimony that is available. :wink:

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Oh well I think she used 2 bucks this year but I could be wrong

11. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    You are right. She AI'd to a Kastdemur's buck that Blissberry owns. :)

(Bethany, if you read this...I check[stalk] you website often just to see updates. :p )

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I already told her that I do as well :p

When I get my own place and have enough money I'm getting a kid from her.

13. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Hehe! Bethany you have a fan club! :greengrin: Now would you pretty please put up milking pics of Hot to Trot? :p

Okay, I'll stop. Sorry Amos. I still stick with what I said originally. Pass on this guy.

14. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Aww you guys are too much! I know, need to get pics up of Hot To Trot, somehow I went all the way through show season last year without getting good pics of her, so will have to wait until after she freshens now, she is a pretty girl though!

I agree with the others about the buck, hopefully you can find something with lines similar to yours, I may have some bucklings available later that would be non related, but I'm kinda far away from you.

15. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I stalk her website, too! And yes she owns the full brother of my buck. I guess I've kind of 'failed' so far, as I haven't shown him or any of his offspring.. It's hard to find transportation for shows. I also need to get a website up, but my web designing skills are extremely lacking. I tried webs.com and even that got me confused. Blah.

Anyway, I guess I just needed a conformation of what I already knew, I'd love to get another Blissberry buck if my wallet allowed.. They are only 45 minutes away but all of the does I want one out of are either bred to Most Wanted, or already have Most Wanted as a sire. Not sure I want to get quite that close in breeding.

I also don't feel comfortable having an animal flown in.. So that leaves me with something within the state, unless I decide to go on a road trip anytime soon.

Ok.. So what do you think of a buck out of a 'Fairfax' daughter on here;
    http://www.poplarhillfarm.com/fairfax.asp

I like the daughters better than 'Exact'.. I wish they had more info on their animals and their breedings. If that other buck was $500 I wonder how much something out of Fairfax Ruby would be.

Bah humbug. Thanks for the input everyone!

16. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Hey Bethany! :greengrin:

Ok, I'm thinking I'll price a buck out of Blissberry SM Jamaica, and price a buck out of Poplar Hill's Ruby Fairfax. Maybe. I guess I have to sleep on it a bit.

This has got me thinking that maybe I ought to be charging more!

17. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Cool, sounds like a good plan! Sara's first fresheners are usually pretty reasonably priced!

18. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Jamaica didn't have a buck, but there is a doe available from her. I sent Sara an email asking about her, but the more I think about it the more I think I should get another buck from Blissberry, and instead of a buck from Poplar Hill, maybe a doe.
    The only other FF that isn't bred to MW or doesn't have him as a sire is Fashionista, so I guess that's what I'm aiming for.
    I did find a decent herd in ND that has Saada lines, but that might be an idea for another year.