What do you think of this little boy?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by nitrors4, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Born 3/31/08
    Fullblood SA Boer

Is his butt too high? We want to produce show stock with him, so he needs to be as perfect as we can get.

Let me know wha tyou think of him please.

[​IMG]\
    [​IMG]

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I like his "thickness" around the shoulder/neck area, but it's really hard to figure what he will be like as a sire at 3 1/2 months old, even with my nigi/pygmy kids it's hard to see what they will be as adults at that age, with the way he looks now, I'd say he has a weak back...his shoulders are high but level with his rear, it's the dip in his back that has me wondering if he'll outgrow that and lengthen out :shrug: Is there a way you can see his sire at all, that may help with "seeing" this kid as an adult.

3. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I like his muscular frame but I am also a little concerned about the dip in his back.Pics of his parents would help.

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    ok i looove the coloring.

ok i like lenght of body as well as the width, he has a well muscled frame overall with a nice musclular rear that goes to the hocks.

he has a beautiful head and well set horns and a powerful jaw. i'd like to see his ears set a little more forward and up.

a few things i fault him on his the shallowness of the barrel, the thickness of the neck and the unporportioned size( his front is much smaller than the back.

but as it was said he's still pretty young. he may grow into his butt and his neck may grow out. who are the parents and do you have pictures?

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    howdy everyone a key word mentioned is (We want to produce show stock with him,)
    you have to remember that pigment in a buck can be crucial ,,because he will likely throw it to the offspring,,,another thing to mention you really cannot judge his back,,because it is a growing spurt ,they will do that for a very long time on and off,, have you ever seen :horse: (colts )or fillies as they grow they at times look real awkward,,as for bulk he looks good,,if you want show quality also make sure he has 2 good teats ,good bite,,good testicles,roman head ect. read up on ABGA - Breed Standards here is a link hope it works,,hope this helps~!
    http://www.abga.org/page.php?pageid=8

6. I should have said this picture is of him at about 3 weeks. I asked for current pictures of him as well as his sire.

7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    oh ok, haha well hopefully he grows into his butt like i said.

who are the parents? whose the breeder

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    WOW...That pic is of him at 3 weeks!?....His poor mama must be feeding him very well, he definately looks like a heavy built kid!

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    he's beautiful, but will need more pigment on his tail to compete, that comes with time.

10. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Wow! Only three weeks old! What a man! (buck) :D I don't know much about Boer goat conformation besides the need to be muscular, stocky, and strong, but he looks awesome to me! The back could be more level but that may come in time or it could just be the pic. I have goats w/ the most level toplines (table-top level) but catch them at an awkward time and they can look bad. Awesome little guy you got there!

11. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    He looks like a really nice buckling. Like toth boer goats said, when they're growing, sometimes their rump will be higher up or their shoulders tend to be higher. They sometimes look uneven, it could be the goat itself and it might not change, but it can be from growth and is very likely this is what is going on w/ this buck. Sometimes they will grow faster on the front end and not the back or the other way around. For 3 weeks I think he looks great! I would definately want to see some updated pics, maybe on a different surface if possible. But he looks pretty nice to me :greengrin:

12. Here is a picture of dad at 4 months. Trying to get upto date picks of all.

[​IMG]

13. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Wow! He looks great to me, but I don't know much. :) Considering his young age he looks awesome and I can only imagine him getting better and better as he matures.

14. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I raise dairy goats so the rules that apply for them aren't quite the same for boers so I can't really help you with whether he's correct or not. He's handsome though. :)

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Well, his sire definately shows the same "thickness" in body!! And seeing the sire at a young age and having the same "dip" in his back makes me wonder if it is just an awkward growing out period...if you have seen the sire and dam in person and are happy with how they look and they have a level back then I'd say he would be worth getting, but if you are not happy with the parents then don't make a hasty expensive decision...I don't show or raise meat goats but a "weak" back isn't good in any animal.....right now I have an 8 year old pygmy/nigi that looks as though her belly should drag the dirt because she is "sway backed" but she is just a pet and it hasn't caused her problems yet, but I know she isn't show quality either. :greengrin:

16. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    he may grow out of it. I think it may have to be a chance you have to take if you are wanting to buy him. He is a gorgeous buck and I would use him for sure!!!!! He will deffinately be an awesome buck when he grows up.

17. Well I have been really thinking he may be worth the gamble. He cost $250.00.

18. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    For only $250.00....he would be worth it!! I would buy him in a heartbeat if I had the money

19. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i say go for it. he has great growth and aside from the barrel issues i think he'd be awesome!

20. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Absolutely...for that price, I would get him and he just may grow to be awesome...if not you'll at least get the money back in the meat market with his kids...especially with his build! :greengrin: