The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find a mineral supplement that will meet my needs and I am having a bit of trouble as the feed stores nearest to me don't carry any. My only options and Manna Pro from tractor supply or the CO-OP store near me which sells their own brand. Here is the analysis of the CO-OP store's brand.

Calcium (min)11.00 %
(max)13.20 %
Phosphorus (min)8.00 %
Salt (min)9.50 %
(max)11.40 %
Magnesium (min)1.00 %
Cobalt (min)40 ppm
Copper (min)1,700 ppm
(max)2,100 ppm
Iodine (min)200 ppm
Manganese (min)3,500 ppm
Selenium (min)80 ppm
Zinc (min)8,000 ppm
Vitamin A (min)500,000 ppm
Vitamin E (min)1,000 ppm

I live in western NC, if you are aware of any mineral deficiencies this does not cover.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,396 Posts
I like the look of those minerals, personally. I like the high selenium, as I know people from NC who have lots of copper and selenium deficiencies. The calcium to phosphorous ratio is slightly off, but this depends on the diet you are feeding. If you feed alfalfa or kelp that is probably gonna balance it, but if you feed mostly grain and lots of grass hay, you may want to look into to some small supplemental source of calcium. Diet is just as important when it comes to balancing minerals. The copper is OK, and the ratio to zinc is good. I like the salt content as well, but you'll probably need a separate salt lick. Something like redmond salt is great. But the ingredient lists are just as important as the guaranteed analysis. That would be very helpful to see. If it's just a lot of oxides and sulfates, it's not very complex and may not be supplying from all the angles you need. For male goats I also like to see if minerals contain ammonium chloride. I know MannaPro does. If it is not an ingredient, it is easily added. Manna Pro has its problems as well. Lower selenium, lower copper, overall it's better than some others out there because the form of minerals are good, but I find it is not suitable without additional supplementation. But that's personal, due to the fact that our hard well water makes almost any mineral when alone not good enough. If you don't have a lot of antagonists, Mannapro may work just fine for you. But the one from your co-op sounds promising. I like local CO-OP ones if they are good quality, because locally the companies will know what your individual state is lacking in.

Again, minerals are a balancing act. But to me, that mineral sounds like a good starter, and then see where you go. Maybe your goats will do well on it, maybe you'll need to adjust and add something. You never know! Minerals are a tricky, tricky subject!

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Here's the ingredient list.

Calcium Phosphate, Processed Grain By-Products, Salt, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Carbonate, Selenium Yeast, Magnesium Sulfate, Potassium Sulfate, Kelp Meal, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Magnesium Oxide, Mineral Oil, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Methionine Complex, Manganese Methionine, Copper Lysine, Cobalt Glucoheptonate, Copper Sulfate, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Cobalt Carbonate.

I am probably going to be feeding grass hay as well as a pelleted goat food (unless that's wrong) along with access to a part browse, part weedy grass pasture.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,396 Posts
Here's the ingredient list. I notice that it does have Kelp meal in it.

Calcium Phosphate, Processed Grain By-Products, Salt, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Carbonate, Selenium Yeast, Magnesium Sulfate, Potassium Sulfate, Kelp Meal, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Magnesium Oxide, Mineral Oil, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Methionine Complex, Manganese Methionine, Copper Lysine, Cobalt Glucoheptonate, Copper Sulfate, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Cobalt Carbonate.
That seems like a nice ingredient list. But if you've got boys I suggest the addition of Ammonium Chloride.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts