What do you think of this young Buck? UPDATE I chose one

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Kfin, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX
    I am still looking to buy a buck. And if I did find one that fit the bill I would buy him this year. I really liked the look of this guy, what do you think about him?
    [​IMG]

And this is his dam as a FF:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

His Granddam:
    [​IMG]

They are asking $200 for him and I am really likeing him. What do you think? Its about an 8-9 hour drive for us.

2. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX
    Re: What do you think of this young Buck?

The Grand dam pics didnot work, so here they are again:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX

I just heard back from them about this buck, he is still available but they do have another person interested in him as well. But she also is selling her Champion Buck for $500:
    [​IMG]
    His dam:
    [​IMG]

i like him but $500 is a little more than I was wanting to spend. But what do you think of either of these two bucks? What is better for the price?

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

I like the looks of the pedigree behind the young buck. The Champion buck looks nicer over all but not saying the young one wont look that nice when full grown, Just right now he looks a bit short bodied but his dam and granddams dont seem to have that issue so its probably a growth spurt thing.

5. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon

I agree that I like the older buck better in terms of looks...and that the young buck could use more length of body. But he could grow into himself. My buck was rather short bodied at 5 months, and his mom and dad were so very long. He is 8 months now and has gained tremendous length, and I don't think he is done.

I know nothing about LaMancha pedigrees... I like that he is uphill, and I like his legs and their angulation. His dam and grand-dams are absolutely fabulous.

6. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX

Thank you, I did call and talk with them over the phone. They are very nice and he seemed very upfront and honest with me about both bucks.

He said the young buck will be a shorter bodied buck, and he will not produce as well on the general appearance as the other buck, but he said that they where planning on keeping him to hopefully improve milk production as he comes from a very strong milk line.

The older buck he said improves on general appearance, but the milk production is not as strong in his line. He said he does through good milk some of the time but not always. But he is a great show buck and has his Linear Appraisal04-04 92 EEE

So he told me what i need to determine for myself is if I want to improve on the general appearance or the milk because each buck is opposite in its strength.

I know that my girls do come from strong milk lines and their mothers are good milk producers, but they could use some structural improvements, so that makes the older buck appealing to me in that sense. But the young buck has the strong milk lines that I think might even increase it more.

So I am still not sure what to do. I like both bucks very much. My husband is saying go with the older buck, as he really likes the way he looks and his thinking is since our girls already have good strong milk lines, then we should improve on their general appearance.

Also I really like the coloring of the Older buck. Do you get more coloring from a white buck or from a painted buck like the older? I am not sure how the color genetics work for goats, I studied color genetics in horses so I get that really well, but goats I have no clue. I really would like to get the most variety of color since this will be my buck I use for a while.

I don't know???? :sigh:

7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

I love both bucks.. i think the younger guy is better for the price.. even though he is young and unproven he's got alot behind him

the older buck is nice, but i'd like to see at least 3 or4 different daughters out of him that have freshened with nice udders and more info for being an older buck

8. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee

Go with the older buck since he will fix the conformation on your goats - then when you get your next buck bring in the milk production. Like you said - your girls have milk production behind them - if you can get their milk production and his conformation you will have something.

White is a dominate - which means 1/2 the kids should be white. The white buckling's dam is short bodied too. The older buck - you never know how white markings are going to go - he can produce both plain kids and flashy kids - it is just the luck of the draw. I love the older buck's dam - she is lovely. My pick would be the older buck.

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

I agree with Sarah on this one -- the older buck is proven in the show ring but what about his daughter. What WILL he throw? what HAS he thrown? thats more important then HIS show wins.

Your does are long bodied already adn like we said before the younger buck may improve in length. I know my buck did. Took him a year but he went from being short bodied to long.

10. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee

If you get onto http://www.adgagenetics.org/ you can see the LA scores of two of his daughters to give you an idea what he may pass on.

I personally would like to see more length of body on your does which is one of the reasons why I would go with the older buck. Both are nice bucks though and should produce nice kids - breeding is a gamble and a toss of the dice sometimes - until you get thoses kids on the ground and then freshen them out you do not know if the breeding was a success or not. The good news is that you have two nice bucks to choose from :) Will be fun to see which buck you choose :)

11. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX

Well after much debating and talking we decided to go with the young buck. I chose him because I really like the bloodlines, and also I am wanting to get some great milk production lines, and then in my next buck I plan on looking for a excellent buck in general appearance but I also want him to have strong milk lines, then I can cross him on my girls I keep from this buck.

So here is hoping for some doelings I can retain.

I am super excited, and can't wait to go get him. We should be getting him either in the next week or two or by the end of November. Depends on how it works out.

12. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You made a good choice. I really like him and am happy that you went with the Lamancha breed. Good luck and hope to see more pics when you get him.

13. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Good choice! I've admired Headliner for a while but the younger buck is out of a Tempo Cassius daughter(check the Redwood Hill Farm website to see some half sisters) and his sire is out of some good Winterwood's lines.......so I personally think that he needs a bit of maturity on him and his general appearance will improve. :)

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Congrats... :thumb: :greengrin:

15. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX
    Thanks everyone, you where all very helpful and while I really liked Headliner, I just really wanted to keep with the good milk lines. I am thinking he will improve on my girls milk lines even more, and then the next buck I get I will work on the conformation and improve in that area, but I would like to find a nice buck that is good in both areas, general appearance and milk lines.

But I am super excited and I will keep you all posted about Gambler and when he gets here I will have pictures I am sure. Although they said he is in full rutt so that should be fun :shrug: