What do you think??

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by liz, Jan 13, 2008.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    A friend of mine who is very new to goats bought a bred doe and her 5 month old wether kid a while ago, they asked lots of questions and I answered to the best of my knowledge. The doe delivered healthy twins Friday afternoon, a buck and doe, I got a call this morning that was very sad. The man had gone to check on them and found the buckling barely alive, he was on his belly with legs out behind him barely conscience. I asked the usual ??? and he replied that he had been as alive and vigorous as any new baby would be, had eaten and was good til this AM..I had told him that the way it sounded to me was that his mom had maybe stepped on him, the wether almost a year old now is still in the same area as his dam and new kids...since this kid had been fine, is it possible that mom may have been protecting them and the little one was just in the way? What do you think? I did suggest that they should separate the mom before she kidded so this wouldn't happen...any how I feel as bad as they do, just wanted to know if anyone could think of anything else that may have happened to the buckling. BTW, the doeling is doing fine, eating and such, my friends wife was wondering about a heat lamp and I told her it's their choice but I wouldn't use one...theyt have a draft free shelter and heavy bedding so she would be fine...I believe they are Nubian/Boer cross. The buckling died shortly after he found him.

2. mystic's_mom

mystic's_mom New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Northern, MN
    He may have been stepped on, or perhaps there was something wrong with him from birth that just didn't show up right away...

Sorry they lost him... :cry:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    unless they get him a nerocropsy (sp?) they will never know what caused his death.

So sorry to hear of this tragidy, my sympathies go out to them. That is just terrible

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thank you both, I think they already buried him so the necropsy is out. I don't know, just the way he said he found him laying...on his belly, made me think he had been stomped...when a goat is "sick" don't they normally lay on the side?

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    yeah, usually they when the babies are sick they are usually on their side, I've never seen or heard of anybody on their bellies unless it was some kind of neurological problem.

I'm sorry they lost him :(