What do you think?

Discussion in 'Show Circuit' started by Hailee's Herd, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    How do you think Splash and Shadow look set up? I only got side pictures, which were hard enough to get. Please give me some pointers and tell me the good and bad points of the goats.
    Splash:
    http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w261 ... s21177.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shadow:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tell me what you think!!!!

2. hornless

hornless New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    THe thing that really stands out are the steep rumps. I like Splashs length of body.

3. QualityCaprine

QualityCaprine New Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Nebraska
    The pics are kinda from weird angles. The does look very smoothly blended. I don't really want to say anything more because I think it is just the angle that is making things like the rumps stand out.

4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Its a little hard to tell from the angle, i know its hard to hold the goat set her up and take the pictures> believe me i have tried.
    Again im seeing sttep rumps and posty rear legs. Just like the last photos. When your looking for a buck i think you need to find one that could potentially improve that rrump angle and rear leg angulation. Splash is a little longer bodied the shadow. I would like to see splasha little cleaner about her shoulders but she has a nice brisket good depth of body and is very uphill. she apears to toe out a little in the rear but that could be just the way she is standing. Her front legs are good and straight.
    Shadow is cleaner through the shoulders but she has less bresket then splash, again she has a steep rump and is a bit posty.she toes ahead more correctly but her front legs arn't as straight as splashes. She too has a nice deep barrl.
    Of course these two girsls are still young yet and will go through some odd growth stages. I think your biggest concern for now is going to be finding a buck to improve rear assembly.
    You are not going to be able to improve everything with one buck. but the fact that both your does have similar needs of improvements helps. Its really hard when you have a herd of say ten does, and one doe needs shoulder improvements while another needs flatness of bone another needs rear leg angulation and rump angle one needs fron legs one needs breed character. One buck is not going to improve all of these things. When choosing a new buck i go down and try to find the most commen thing my girls needs in improvements. Once i have determined that (this year it was shoulders) i start the hunt for a buck. I go through hundreds of does looking for that special buck. One that makes me say wow. I like to be able to describe a doe in one word and thats wow. that is the doe i want my next buck out of.
    Ok this has turned into more then judging of your does. but i hope this helps a little bit.
    beth
    beth

5. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    Thanks soo so much everyone. I am just curious to know this stuff. :) :wink:
    I know that the next time I set them up I'm going to have someone else take the pictures. It's kinda hard to hold them and take pics at the same time. Mostly because they can't sit still and they have to come towards me so I can love them up. :)

One more question, this might not be the right place to ask it, but how much should a Nubian doe weigh at one year old? Just wondering, because I think that Splash especially is small. She is just over a year. Shadow will be a year in May.
    Actually, I'll probably ask this question under another catagory too.

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I like my does to weigh about one hundred lbs at about a year. More if they can be but one hundred is the mininum.
    beth