What do you think?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Crissa, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    What do you think about offering bucks for stud service? I've been thinking I might offer Orion for stud because I think he's looking pretty good. Bethany was just here and we drew blood on everyone so that I can test everyone for CAE (I have to do Orion as we had a technical difficulty with him. :roll: ) and she showed me how to punch him down better and he looked pretty good, I'm definitely going to try and keep him and show him. So do you think it would be worth it to offer him for stud service? I don't want to risk my goats health but if he could earn his keep that way it would help. If everyone comes up negative on their tests I'll be thinking more and more about doing this. I will try and get a good pic of him set up sometime so you can all see him.

So what's your take on it? (even in general)

2. hornless

hornless New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I would- unless his sire's dam has a poor udder. I love Lyraes udder, and Orion looks great, but I don't know anything of his sire. But yes, I would.

3. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
  4. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Sure if they test and everyone is clean. I would make sure to charge enough to justify it. I have always charged practically nothing for it, but never had but a couple actually use my bucks too. I have decided I won't do it so cheaply again though.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Sure, I would. Hey if I have bucks and people want to breed to them more the power to them. I have them show a proof of CAE, CL and Johnese free.
    It is a way we make money to pay the feed bill.
    Last year we made $450.00 for breeding.

6. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    How many times/goats did you 'rent' out for stud services Sweetgoats? Just curious.

7. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Whoops. That's the wrong doe. lol Apparently his sire is a different one than is on her old kidding schedule. Should have looked on Orion's papers. :roll:

http://www.freewebs.com/caperingvalleyn ... dsires.htm

The last one on the page is his sire. Nu-Flower Rocket Endeavor. She's hopefully getting a picture of him today. And I'm going to email Rocket's dams owner to see if I can get a couple pictures of her.

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    We only bred 5 goats that we got paid for. I charge different prices for different people. (less for 4Hers).

9. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Do you have a doe come in just for a driveway rendezvous or do you board the doe for a week, month, ??

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I say go for it if he is old enough and interested in breeding. The chance for him to help earn is keep is always nice!

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    It all depends. If they are in heat when they get here, then hey we are done, other wise they stay until I know for sure they are bred. If I never see them do the deed, they I have them wait for two cycles.

12. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Yep he's interested! I'm pretty sure he got Heidi while she was in heat last week. (she had goo and everything) He just wishes Lyric were as cooperative! :roll: Now I just need to see if anyone's interested after I get my CAE tests back.

By the way I'm going to get new pics of everyone set up now that I know how to "punch" down. :greengrin:

13. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Looking forward to them!

14. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I would go for it too. Just make sure the does that come are healthy, CAE/CL and Johnes-free. I also take a quick look-over on the doe, if she doesn't look right then I would apologize and tell them it won't work out.

We've had two different does come to visit Royal Blue - both came into heat within the first week and were bred. I got $140 for both breedings and they were only here a week! They're actually due to kid very soon. . . .

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    it is your choice but I am greatful to the breeders around here who are willing to stud a buck to me eventhough I dont test. They have seen my does of course with showing so they know they are healthy. Just something to think about.

16. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    If I don't require a test then I will require that I see the does and inspect them myself before I will guarantee anything. Pictures are up in the photogenic section by the way! Didn't go as I planned of course. :roll:

17. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    How much do you all usually charge for it? And do you have them fill out any paperwork before you let them bring their does?

18. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Well, I would want a breeding memo if I did that, but thats just me.

19. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I charged $65 and $75 for the service. If the does stayed longer than 12 days, then a boarding fee of $1.50 a day applied. I've never had to have a doe stay longer than a week though. . . . . Roy must be pretty irresistible. ;)

I do have a breeding contract that I can send to you via email, if you'd like. I have every doe owner sign it when they leave their doe. Then I give them a copy at pick-up.

Oh, yes, I also give them their breeding memo(s) at pick-up as well.

20. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Do you think you could possibly send me one? :)

For future referance and such.