The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only have corid and have been reading that is bad for goats. What do you guys use and where do you get it?

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I used corid for the first time this year and am very pleased with it. I used baycox for years even though I wasn’t overly pleased with it not being USDA approved since I sell some butcher kids I would just treat at 3 and 6 weeks and then relied on medicated feed until they were sold to make sure it was totally out of their system. I got a bad batch this year and lost a few kids, after looking into it’s found it wasn’t all that uncommon so that’s when I switched to corid. Honestly though if I could have gotten Di-methox or another sulfa drug that’s what I would have used

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
Mixing undiluted Corid liquid:
Mix 6 tablespoons corid to 16 oz water....
Or the Pre mixed- Shake well before use.
solution give as follows
then dose it at ...
30cc per 100lbs
15cc per 50lbs
7.5 per 25 lbs
treat individually for 5 days

20% Powdered mixture: 3 ounces(10.5 tblspns) to 1 quart water
Mix solution well. Shake well before use.
then dose it at ...
30cc per 100lbs
15cc per 50lbs
7.5 per 25 lbs
and so on
treat individually for 5 days

Do not give thiamine or fortified vit B complex while treating.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! I'll just stick with the corid then. I've read also to give vit b complex after. Do you all do that?

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I didn’t do b vitamins. I think the B is a good idea though with ones that had a very high load to start with and then was treated, but no matter if it’s treatment with corid or sulfa or baycox I think it’s a good idea.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't post often here, but just as a warning: I bought my first bottle of baycox, used it once at treatment dose on some kids and it worked. Follow up 10 days later. A few started scouring again on day 17 after that if I had been considering it a prevention cycle, so I got it out again, and used it on the worst one. No dice. Meanwhile, a day or two later the others all started scouring bad. Some infected their moms, who also began scouring. Did a fecal to make sure and they were all loaded. This is my first year "using" baycox and I'm back to corid, which apparently still works great. Animals in distress longer, $$ down the drain, and time wasted.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I don't post often here, but just as a warning: I bought my first bottle of baycox, used it once at treatment dose on some kids and it worked. Follow up 10 days later. A few started scouring again on day 17 after that if I had been considering it a prevention cycle, so I got it out again, and used it on the worst one. No dice. Meanwhile, a day or two later the others all started scouring bad. Some infected their moms, who also began scouring. Did a fecal to make sure and they were all loaded. This is my first year "using" baycox and I'm back to corid, which apparently still works great. Animals in distress longer, $$ down the drain, and time wasted.
That's pretty much how it went down here just I ended up loosing 2 kids :/ I'm not sure what the deal is but I see more and more people complaining about it not working. In my case I MIGHT consider it just being maybe a resistance issue, although I have a hard time believe thing it would go from working 100% to 0% from one kidding to the next, but like in your case there's really no way if this was the first time using it in your herd. The issue is since it really is technically illegal to be giving to start with since it's not a regulated drug in the USA they can make a mistake and what are we going to do about it? It's just frustrating since that stuff isn't cheap to start with, then add a headache or losses and I won't ever go back to it. I'll just deal with basing the little snots down every 3 weeks for 5 days and know the work is worth it

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
I've had nothing but great luck with Toltrazuril. I haven't actually used the name brand Baycox, I use the knock off toltrazuril because it's much cheaper.

That being said, I have only actually used it for treatment once, and it worked great. All the other kids I have used it on for the past 5+ years or so was for prevention, and it did what it was supposed to do, fecal showed almost 0 few cocci critters at 10 days out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Forgive me, I use the knock off as well. Still very pricy. Glad it is still working in some areas. The idea behind it is wonderful. It did not fill out for us though.

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
Yeah,uh, it works by breaking the egg sacs. The fecal will show loaded unless you're looking for the breakdown.
Toltazuril and Safeguard both at the same time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts