What do you use for tapeworms?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by badnewsboers, Aug 27, 2008.

1. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    This year has been a bad one for tapeworms and I'm trying to figure out what will work best on them. I have safeguard because that was the cheapest, most readily available wormer at the time. Of course its not working very well. I thought about getting Valbazen but have heard most worms are resistant to it now to. Now I'm thinking about getting some Synanthic. Its very wide spectrum and is supposed to kill tapeworms if used 3-4 days consecutively. Someone I know tried it on their hounds though and didn't have much luck with it. I don't know if it'd be any different on goats. I'm debating investing in some Equimax which is supposed to kill tapeworms too but I'd have to buy it by the tube which might be pricier in the long run. I'm willing to pay more if it actually works.

Any thoughts? Has anyone else tried some of these wormers?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    We use Valbazen ...........1cc per 33 lbs ,as of now,it is still working for us ...............
    give it again if you saw tapes fragments ....7 to 10 days later...........We order it from american livestock supply..... catalog ...so far so good with us.................

3. goatheaven

goatheaven New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    South Carolina
    Zimectrin Gold paste for horses will take care of the problem. we had a goat who came to us with tapeworms and this was the cure. We used it then less than a day later we found the long tapeworm in the stool. Then we used it again 2 weeks later and all was good

4. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    I've had good luck with Safeguard, the paste that is, not the pellets. You have to use it 5 days in a row at triple the dose and then do it again 10-14 days later.

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Is that the paste made for horses? Or the stuff in the bottle made for goats?

6. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    paste made for horses, I haven't seen one made specifically for goats yet.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    there is a safeguard for goats

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Yes, there is a safeguard for goaties. We have some, works good. I mainly use it for pregnant does as it's the only one I feel really safe to use with them, if needed.

Just curious how toth boer goats came up with 1cc per 33 lbs. w/ Valbazen. I have read 1cc per 10 lbs on Fiasco Farm and 1cc per 25 lbs. on Onion Creek Farms. I'm just trying to figure out what is best for our herd. Right now, I'm kind of between the 10-25 lbs. I give 1cc per 15 lbs. or so on kids. We don't really use it on adults unless recommended by the vet.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    A person we know works closely with a vet and tests the stool samples to see how much to use and,,,, if it is working properly, believe it or not they found that safeguard for horses is not working at all anymore,,,,,,, of course you do not want to under dose any wormer... each breeder has there own way ,,I will not say one way is better than the other,, but with a vets advice and testing done I really believe in my dosage.....................thanks :shrug:

10. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Valbazen- but I have used Pancure too but for 3 days in a row then again in 2 weeks.