What do you use on lice?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Sonrise Farm, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    My grandpa sprinkled powder on them, but that stuff was ancient and is done now . . .it didn't even have a label even though it worked great. . .
    My girls are good, just want to know what you use to get rid of lice.
    I would be really interested in using something that would not chemically hurt the goats. . . .

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Permectrin II diluted 2.5 cc to 1 quart water in a spray bottle down their midline.

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    25 g/L Triflumuron (Zapp) as an IGR

Malawash (horse product) or 20 g/L spinosad (Extinosad) for knockdown

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    You could try Diatomaceous Earth (DE) - I've never used it myself but hear that it works well on external parasites and it is all natural. I think you can find it in the garden center?? Not sure though. . . .

I use Co Ral from the feed store or Ivomec. Will be trying the DE soon.

5. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    I use a livestock dust containing permethrin. If your goats also need to be wormed, Ivomec works for both worms and sucking lice. For biting lice you need the dust.

6. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    I use Sevin dust you get at a garden center. Just sprinkle it on and work it in with a wide tooth brush. Denise

7. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    When my first goats arrived, they had a horrible case of lice....... eeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkk!

They were 3 months old at the time (arrived late in May). I took the remaining K-9 Advantix tubes I had, split one tube for a 40 pound dog between 2 goats (i.e. half a tub per goat) and within a week they were lice free. No ticks the whole summer either.

But.... when I mentioned doing that on the boards, people freaked about using a product meant for dogs on a goat. Mine were ok, so I did the same thing with the new goats that arrived in the fall of 2007 and 2008... my goaties are lice free - at least from the easily visible kind.......