What do you use to weigh your kids

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by StaceyRosado, Dec 29, 2008.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I was given a money gift for Christmas from my grandmom and I have always wanted to be able to weigh kids at birth. So I have 100.00 to spend.

What do you use and where did you purchase it from?

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We use a digital fish scale and a kid sling we got from Premier supplies, it would cost about $50 for both.

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I use a infant scale that I purchased on Ebay. The problem is because i have to handle them a lot they do not seem to work for a ling time. If I could just leave it still and not move it I am sure it would last longer, The basket thing comes off really easy and I can not get it back on.

4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I use a digital kitchen scale, costs like $20, I put a bucket on top of it, zero it out, then put the kid in the bucket. It weighs up to five kilos, I dont often have any newborns bigger than that but those occasional ones I just hold on the bathroom scales, then subtract my weight.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    good thought on ebay

hmm a kitchen scale...

6. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    I use a regular scale for humans. I step on get my weight, step off and get the kid and then weigh us. lol

7. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i use the scale i have for weighing my milk. i put the baby in a small tote bag & hang them on the scale. it works great & my babies are usualy 10 to 13 lbs.

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I use a small scale purchased at the grocery store. It's not digital, so I think we'll buy one that is. Our kids usually range 2-3 lbs. I don't remember how much it cost but it was pretty cheap, probably around $10.

9. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
  10. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma

Same here, works pretty good! :)

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    That is what I have been doing.... but kids are raised outside so bringing them inside isnt always an available option when I want them to bond with mom

12. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I use a WeighMax digital postal scale and it works REALLY well! It weighs in pounds and ounces, and is VERY accurate! Here is a link to one on Ebay something like the one I have. Mine has a max weight capacity of 75lbs, but they also have 35 lb. capacity ones and 50 lb. capacity ones. This is also the guy that I purchased mine from on Ebay and I didn't have any complications:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DIGITAL-75-LB-SHIPP ... dZViewItem

This one goes off in a couple of ours but you can look at his items for sale and find one that you like (if you want to purchase from him). I paid $20 dollars for mine shipping and all. Here is a link to a 35lb. one from a scale website and it is $20 WITHOUT shipping! So I would definitely reccommend Ebay!

http://www.scales-n-tools.com/index.php ... cts_id=321

ALSO, mine can weigh things that are BIGGER that the platform... AND it has a Tare button which means you could make a box to set your kid it, place it on the platform so it weighs JUST the box then you push the tare button and it takes the weight back to zero, so that when you add the kid you are ONLY getting the weight of the kid and NOT the box! VERY neat!

I hope this helps!!

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thanks guys for the suggestions on making the sling -- great idea

Brandi I will certainly look at those links.

Ebay is my friend :D

14. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    We used to use one like this but not digital, for weighing the sheep. We used a bit of bale twine, made a loop and looped it around the hocks of the lamb, hooked the string to the scale, then lifted it up. Hey presto, you've got a weight! If the string around the hocks bit bothers you, you could always hang a bucket or similar on the scale and place the kid into it, but you would have to account for the weight of the bucket

15. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    I got mine at a sheep feed lecture for free. Target had some in there gifts that are $5, $10 and $15 dollars. The x-mas stuff. They may be on clearance now. I think they where $5 dollars. It's small and easy to use. Shelly

16. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    If i were to weigh one, i wouldnt even bother weighing myself with it xD i would put it on and weigh it lol

17. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    If you want a REALLY nice scale - try Pesola spring scales from Forestry Suppliers Inc. I have used them for years weighing neonatal caribou calves (for work) - they are really accurate and will last forever. They are more expensive but since you had xmas $...Use a sling to hook on the end hook - a 3 or 4 inch wide piece of material tied in a loop works great (you might be able to go smaller on goats) - then loop the loop of material around the goats chest and lift.

18. prairiewolf

prairiewolf New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    southeast Kansas
    For newborns I just use a fishscale and put them in a bucket (wiegh the bucket first so that weight can be deducted). I plan on buying a newborn sling this year as I think that would be easier than the bucket. For the older goats we have a hanging scale that weighs over 200lbs (I believe it was about $35-40) and a sling. We have a two person swing set frame and a pulley for lifting them.

19. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We have used the sling type scale to weigh our goat kids but they would always escape the other side so it was a challenge getting an accurate weight on them.

20. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Yeah - they can be tricky if they squirm so you have to catch the weight on the bounce!! (and sometimes you can only get an average) - but if the sling cinches down (because you have the loop thru the loop) you can usually get them (I've weighed hundreds of calves this way - :) But a burlap sack or bucket would be a good idea too![attachment=0:3gx4x3xq]calfweigh.jpg[/attachment:3gx4x3xq]