What do you use your goats for?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by pennylullabelle, Jun 11, 2010.

1. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

Are you a fuzzy lover? A meat maker? A milk maid? Just making conversation here! I am so excited about some stuff I have done with my milk lately that I want to share it with everyone and hear about their goat uses!

I have considered making cheese and butter - I have no idea where to start! But I have made soap and lotion and I LOVE it! The soaps have come out hard and long lasting but moisturizing with a thick bubbly lather and yet they rinse clean. I have no doubt that some of this is thanks to the milk! The lotions are also quite fantastic. I am a dry skinned girl but I HATE feeling greasy. I set out to make a moisturizing lotion that wasn't greasy and on my second attempt I nailed exactly what I wanted! Again, I know it's in part thanks to the milk!

The next thing I want to do is make candles, but this is very very complicated. Fat must be separated from the milk, then treated to make wax and then added to other waxes to reduce smoke and increase burn temp. Candles were originally made from animal fat that had been salted and resulted in a waxy product that burned with a bright flame. So, I can't wait to save up the money for the equipment and supplies for this project!

2. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Well, when we raised boers, it was for show, commercial, breeding, and meat. It was fun, but a lot of work.

Now with our minis, we are mainly fun and novelty. Our sell very fast when they are posted for sale, because we love them so! LOL We do breed for nice correct udders, but mostly its for fun. :)

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Pets to help keep my sanity and take up the hours of my day when I'm not at work.....and they are my milkers too! I love being able to take what they so willingly give and make such creative and delicious things with it....and the $ I save by not buying butter, cheese, soap, ice cream, yogurt and of course, milk at the grocery store goes right back into keeping my kids happy and healthy.

4. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    We have our goats to keep my horse company!!!!!

5. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ours are just fuzzy lovers and loving them is what we do best! They make our little mini farm alive! We lived here for about 4 years with no farm animals and as much as I loved our farm it seemed sad and needed something to wake it up and the boys and chickens have done that.......nothing better than driving up our lane and seeing my boys playing and head butting.....they also keep me from becoming lazy :greengrin: .

6. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Wow, it sounds like making cheese would be a whole lot easier than making candles!

I have my goats for milk and meat, that's why kinders. And they get love for the duration, however long it is.

Jan

7. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    "What do you use your goats for"?

HAHAHA good one! Mine use ME!

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    hehe nancy!

I just like having them, I sell mine for meat and breeding to other breeders. But mostly because i just love the boers!

9. hphorses

hphorses New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Waldron, SK. Canada
    LOL I LOVE Nacys answer!!!

We are just getting into the goats but we plan on raising meat goats.. They sure are fun to have around!!

10. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Our primary goal is meat. When we get a few that are show quality it's the icing on the cake.
    Watch out when that happens...at least here they are the most obnoxious ones in the group & most of them dont really like me except when I have food.
    Then theres the run of the mill commercial does full of spunk & personality who actually adore me, feed pan or not. :wink:

11. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    I find my goats are very good at getting rid of any excess cash I happen to have sitting around. Composted money. Great in the garden!

12. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

:ROFL: elchvito! Such a true statement too!

13. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    We are raising boers and our primary goal is meat, for us and to eventually sale to the local ethnic community. I've never eaten goat (or even deer) so we'll see how that goes! The kids have been told not to get attached to the boys, but they can make pets of the girls all they want. My kids are also going to show them in 4-h and it's gotten them off the video games. It's a big bonus that they are clearing up the front pasture that has been full of thistles and weeds for way to long. I had given up hope of clearing it.
    And, they have already become pets. I can't believe how like my dogs they are! So smart, funny, and loveable. They are good therapy, too, and it's nice to come home from a busy day to my goaties.
    I'm thinking of adding a nubian, though, because I really want to try having our own fresh milk/cheese and not sure if our boers will be up to it. No luck with that so far, but I've been kicked plenty. :laugh: Didn't even get a single drop.

14. Well, we started just for meat. Then we goat more into the breed of Myotonics. Even thought we still breed meat breed we have found ourselves breeding a lot for breed replacements, show, pets, and color. Quality is always a must so no matter we focus on that. But have a mix of genes for different markets in the breed and have been breeding to meet those markets all the way around.

Most of all they are just so much fun MOST days. I have had those days I just want to CRY but pull it back together. It normally is never for the goats I cry but the issues that at times come with livestock in general. Oh, and they have made for a great social life. LOL

15. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Originally hubby said he wanted a few goats to help control the weeds on our 40 acres. I said NO! Then the lady I work for had her kids and I fell in love! She is giving me one of her does and the does buckling, we have already whethered him. She is a Sanaan and I originally thot just milk. Her buckling would go in the freezer come fall. Then I got to thinking and did some research. I want to breed my doe to a meat typw buck so we have meat for our table. Where it goes from there I have no idea!

I would like to learn to make butter at least. I also want to learn how to tan hides and if I get good at it, maybe sell those around here. We shall see!

16. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    My goats were bought for milk (I make cheese regularly, as well as yogurt and kefir) and all the things the go with it but at this point they are primarily for entertainment and meditation.

Nothing like going out as the sun rises and sitting next to a content goat, listening to her rumen growl at you and get into the rhythm of milking to really get you to that "zen" state!

17. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    We just got into goats, but my husband has been wanting to get some for a long time, we just weren't ready for them yet <fencing, shelter, etc.>.
    We have boers/percentages, and plan to raise for meat to sell to people we know, not sure I could eat a goat I raise...LOL Also for our kids to use for 4-H, and to sell. We have 5 does and a buckling, and we love them all. They are mostly boer, and one is a boer/nubian cross.
    I agree, they are so much like having a dog, that i don't want a dog anymore LOL For the past year I had been planning to get a German Shepherd <love GSD's!>, but now I am like....nah, I can wait... The goats are a lot of work, but soooo much fun!

18. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

Wow! Awesome! It's so cool that goats can be used for so many different things!

Mine have a way of composting money too. Man they are talented. They also have an excellent way of ruining conference calls when I am in my office - window positioned near the main pasture...they hear me talking and all I hear is 20 or so going MMMAAAAAAHHHH. Whew, they are some multi-skilled creatures! I wonder if I could tech THEM to make the candles...