The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if any of you happens to have pictures of what your properly disbudded goats' disbudding sites look like a few weeks after the disbudding was done. I have a few kids that I did at a few days old and they are now 5 and 6 weeks old. Anyone have disbudded kids that are that old now that I could see a comparison picture of? I'm just not sure I did it right. 馃様

Registered
This is a week or two out. She did end up with a bit of a scur on the left bud. Not a huge problem. (My daughter was going to police academy and came on the week end to get disbudding done. We think she was a tad late with her...oh well..we love her still lol)

Attachments

Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Darn it. I think all of mine are going to have scurs or maybe even horns. I was really hoping this wouldn't happen. I feel like I can't put them through burning again. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. 馃槙

Thanks, you two for sharing pictures.

Super Moderator
Keep in mind that scurs and "horns" can grow in weird, with horns possibly growing towards their head. Then you would have to cut them on a regular basis so they don't go into the head. I have a doe that had a bad disbudding and she has one "horn" that I have to trim. I wish I would have owned her as a kid because I'd rather disbud again then deal with her horn.

Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keep in mind that scurs and "horns" can grow in weird, with horns possibly growing towards their head. Then you would have to cut them on a regular basis so they don't go into the head. I have a doe that had a bad disbudding and she has one "horn" that I have to trim. I wish I would have owned her as a kid because I'd rather disbud again then deal with her horn.
Yeah, I have two bucks that have scurs that need regular trimming, so I know what kind of a pain it is to deal with. The doe I'm keeping has very small buds, so I'm pretty sure the iron would still fit over them, but I'm just worried about the trauma of doing it again for her and about how hard it would be to restrain her. 馃槦 I don't know if I should put her through that again at six weeks of age, but on the other hand I really wish just had a nice clean, not horned head.馃槱馃槗

Registered
It is harder in them to return, heads are still tender, but like Karen said, a really bad scur can be a pain to deal with. If you reburn them, give banamine about 30 minutes before and spritz with ACV after.

Reactions: MellonFriend

Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is harder in them to return, heads are still tender, but like Karen said, a really bad scur can be a pain to deal with. If you reburn them, give banamine about 30 minutes before and spritz with ACV after.
I've never heard of the ACV thing. What does that do?

I'm just really torn up about what to do. This might sound silly, but is there any chance of her relationship with me being tarnished if I do it again? I really don't want her to hate me.

If I do do it again is the the same process? Burn till the copper ring, knock the cap off and cauterize the spot underneath?

Registered
Acv seems to stop the burn. Our babies recover much faster. Plus it is disinfected.
Lots of TLC after and treats help win them back helps.
Why not post a picture of her head..let us see if she needs to be redone.

Redo s are done the same.

Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Acv seems to stop the burn. Our babies recover much faster. Plus it is disinfected.
Lots of TLC after and treats help win them back helps.
Why not post a picture of her head..let us see if she needs to be redone.

Redo s are done the same.
I'm not sure if this picture shows you well enough, but both sides are raised slightly, and if I move them they feel like they will wiggle.
IMG_1852.JPG

Registered
Hum. I'm thinking she will have scurs,. @ksalvagno
May offer insight on this as well.

Registered
Darn it. I think all of mine are going to have scurs or maybe even horns. I was really hoping this wouldn't happen. I feel like I can't put them through burning again. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. 馃槙

Thanks, you two for sharing pictures.
The lady we bought our lil buck from did his wrong, thankfully we were introduced to an amazing mobile vet who has a big herd of show goats. She told us they were done wrong and would grow back. Brady is 10 weeks and she did it yesterday. I am not one who could ever do this myself (I couldn't even watch when my husband gave them the CDT on Wednesday) He cried a bit but it is in his best interest to have it done correctly. She did a wonderful job!

Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The lady we bought our lil buck from did his wrong, thankfully we were introduced to an amazing mobile vet who has a big herd of show goats. She told us they were done wrong and would grow back. Brady is 10 weeks and she did it yesterday. I am not one who could ever do this myself (I couldn't even watch when my husband gave them the CDT on Wednesday) He cried a bit but it is in his best interest to have it done correctly. She did a wonderful job!
Thank you for chiming in. I am leaning toward redoing it, so it's great to know that even at as late as 10 weeks that he was okay.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts