The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Goats
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, sorry is this is in the wrong place, but I just got my first buck and I’m pretty sure he’s already bred one of my does but I’m not sure.
What does a successful breeding look like? On both the female and male parts?

They were acting very interested in each other through the fence, he started blubbering, so I let her room with him. He mounted her the first time, then a second time, and a third time just now. Obviously she’s in standing heat, because she’s letting him do this, but I’m not sure if they are successful. He’s a little bit smaller than she is, but he can still kind a reach, I’m just not sure if the whole act was completed. She hunched over after the second time and she’s hunching every time he comes near. Any help or knowledge would be appreciated, I genuinely don’t know.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You can look for “muck butt” on the doe’s back end. https://farmingmybackyard.com/breeding-the-goats/
I read this article when I was first breeding my girls, it says “ Your first clue is the instant you bring the buck to your doe in heat. If he mounts her and she stands you should see the buck do a little dip with his back legs. That indicates a successful breeding. If she doesn't stand or he doesn't finish the job I can promise you won't be getting any goat babies.” That being said, I did have a doe that I was virtually positive was NOT bred (the buck was not very interested in her and only tried to mount her once kind of from the side) but then 146 days (she is a mini) from that day I went out and found kids!

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
When a buck has made a successful connection the doe will tuck her bum immediately. If your not there to see the breeding take place you can rest assure if the buck and doe are fertile she will be bred 😉 some times with first time bucks it can take a few rounds. We do pen breeding. And we keep watch for 3 good connections then we put them back in their own pen. She will still act in heat and he will still act the fool..but the job is done and we don't need to double stack the oven lol. The other reason we remove a doe is when she asks. If she's done with him..we risk injury with her trying to get away.

·
Registered
Goats
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can look for “muck butt” on the doe’s back end. https://farmingmybackyard.com/breeding-the-goats/
I read this article when I was first breeding my girls, it says “ Your first clue is the instant you bring the buck to your doe in heat. If he mounts her and she stands you should see the buck do a little dip with his back legs. That indicates a successful breeding. If she doesn't stand or he doesn't finish the job I can promise you won't be getting any goat babies.” That being said, I did have a doe that I was virtually positive was NOT bred (the buck was not very interested in her and only tried to mount her once kind of from the side) but then 146 days (she is a mini) from that day I went out and found kids!
Darn it I thought I got a pic of what coulda been muck butt, but apparently she moved. Would the dip change if he’s smaller than her?

·
Registered
Goats
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When a buck has made a successful connection the doe will tuck her bum immediately. If your not there to see the breeding take place you can rest assure if the buck and doe are fertile she will be bred 😉 some times with first time bucks it can take a few rounds. We do pen breeding. And we keep watch for 3 good connections then we put them back in their own pen. She will still act in heat and he will still act the fool..but the job is done and we don't need to double stack the oven lol. The other reason we remove a doe is when she asks. If she's done with him..we risk injury with her trying to get away.
This is very helpful, thank you!! She seemed not too interested in him anymore, so I put her back in her pen. She tucked immediately after the second one. Should I see if she goes into heat again next month to see if it took or do a pregnancy test 30 days after?

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Yes..that is what I do..just wait 21 to 30 days..if no heat signs..then blood test to confirm.

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Not uncommon for some buck seed to escape 😉

·
Registered
Goats
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think you would still see a dip even if he is smaller but it might be less noticeable. Based on everything you have said it sure sounds like she was successfully bred!
Ok coolio, thanks!! I was surprised because I’ve never had an intact buck on the farm before and the minute he came home, one of my does just so happened to be in standing heat.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Ok coolio, thanks!! I was surprised because I’ve never had an intact buck on the farm before and the minute he came home, one of my does just so happened to be in standing heat.
Sometimes having a buck around will bring the does into heat. False heat can happen too... So watch her for heat signs post-breeding, she may have subtle signs for a couple of cycles but won't be interested in the buck if she is bred.

·
Registered
Goats
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sometimes having a buck around will bring the does into heat. False heat can happen too... So watch her for heat sings post-breeding, she may have subtle signs for a couple of cycles but won't be interested in the buck if she is bred.
Sounds good. I was totally unaware of false heat, etc. None of mine have ever rly shown signs of heat, but then again, I’ve never had a buck. Do you think that will change since I do?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sounds good. I was totally unaware of false heat, etc. None of mine have ever rly shown signs of heat, but then again, I’ve never had a buck. Do you think that will change since I do?
I think it really depends on the goat, I have one doe who is SO loud when she is in heat and another goat who never really shows heat signs. I don't own a buck. It also depends on the breed, most standard breeds only go into heat in the late fall/winter/early spring but minis and Nigerian dwarfs go into heat year-round.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts