What does an early abort look like?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Dreamchaser, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I am wondering, because of one of my goats. It looks like she has some discharge that does not look normal, though I'm new to this so I don't know what normal is yet anyway... It looks darker, not sure if it is bloody. Just a little dried up drip coming from that area. ???

2. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    My doe that aborted early on due to big doe's being rough butting her had a brownish pink discharge first, then as it progressed it got bloody. Never seen a fetus, cause she wasn't that far along, but she acted as though she was getting ready to kid, just never went into active labor.

3. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I don't mean to be gross, but does anyone have any photos of what the discharge looks like? I can only find photos of aborted fetuses on the internet. Not really helpful.

4. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    This was the only photo I managed to get while my doe was aborting. pic didn't come out very large when I posted it, but it's kinda like a pink brown color. This was early on, it got to be a lot more discharge and more blood mixed in, but it never was bright red blood though. I know they can all be a little different in discharge, this is just what my doe did, hope it helps

Attached Files:

5. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    My doe aborted and her back end just looked similar to what it does after she gives birth. It wasn't as 'sloppy' as a normal birth, but she had a bloody discharge and there was discharge on the hair on her tail. Not bright red/bloody, but a brown/reddish color. She actually acted fairly normal throughout all of this. Didn't find any fetus. The discharge subsided after a few days and she came into season again within a few weeks.

6. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    We just had a Doe this weekend lose her babies and they were pretty good size.She had them like she was giving a normal birth except she wasn't bagged up or poochy and it was to me alot more bloody afterwards than a normal birth.Before she gave birth it was brown and a little crusty when we found her laying down.Good luck with your doe its very hard for them to lose the baby!

7. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    i have a question
    i had a doe abort a month ago or so
    (baby(ies)?? looked like a plastic grocey bag full of water with 7 legs...)
    she does not look like my does who have freshened she still looks round and fat and she never came into milk
    is this normal or could she possibly still be pregnant?
    i lost her mom this past spring :(
    she freshened with twins but still acted like she was in labor for a week after
    i kept calling vet and they kept saying she was fine and once gave her a shot of lutylase to help clean her out
    finally took her in to vets office and they xray'd and said she had mummified babies
    they tried to spay her and she died on the table :( :sigh: :(
    anyway
    hope does not act like she is in labor
    she eats and drinks and poos and pees and is normal
    but round and fat and no milk :shrug:

8. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Yes, I think my doe aborted. :sigh: She's acting depressed now. She didn't fight over the food this morning, and just ate slow and quietly. Poor girl. I think she probably got into it trying to keep her status as herd queen, and lost them that way.