What does CAE do to a goat?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by liz, Mar 25, 2008.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    A friend of mine has an awesome Saanen buck as well as an Alpine doe, together for 2+ years and not a kid to show for it. He "walks" on his knees and has since he was 8 months old, now he is "stepping high" and throws his front feet forward. He has really gotten worse and foot trims are really difficult because he has really odd hooves. I know I should research this but right now I know there are ALOT of you who can give me input...his knees are swollen but I'm not sure if it's from him walking on them...he looks bad when doing thistoo, you can tell that it hurts him to get around with his tail high in the air. If it's not CAE what causes this to happen?

2. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    It sounds like CAE does she test them?

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    foundering will also cause them to walk on their knees and have bad hooves.

The CAE is a possibility but without testing I wouldn't say for sure

4. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    since he is doing it as a very early age, there might be other problems involved. one of them like stacy said is laminitis or founder. this is a metabolic disease from too much too rich food. grain or alfa can do this. improper hoof care can cause lameness as well.
    there is another contagious disease, mycoplasm, a bacterial infection that causes very similar symptoms like cae. this can be treated with antibiotic.

a picture from him standing would help to discuss it more ;)

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The doe was given to them after her last set of twins were born 3 years ago, she is fine with the exception of not becoming pregnant, he had wanted his own goat to milk as opposed to buying it. The buck is polled and also was given to him from a farmer with not so good husbandry habits...almost neglectful with the herd til they make him money so I doubt there was ever any testing done. I do know that the both of them have access to forage pretty much year round and loose minerals, I don't believe that they get alfalfa hay...mainly grass hay. Besides him waliking funny, shouldn't he be "a buck"? Unless the doe was given away because of issues getting pregnant...IDK...I just thot I'd ask because I wasn't real sure what to tell my friend as far as his "illness" goes. He seems to be ok otherwise, eating drinking eliminating...just on his knees and the wierd hooves. I've shown them from the day they got him at 5 months old how to trim his feet, even then they were boxlike with the growth and really heavy soled, so I know that it's not from taking care of his feet, it's a regular thing like we do.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I had a 4Her that was given a goat that walked on his knees also. It was so sad how bad his feet were. He had his own sleds. He also had swollen knee's. I always though that he did it because of his feet. He did die at a very young age, but I know he dies from bloat, but that was because he was just to sore to walk around and he bloated from that.