The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone. Because it is starting to become that season, when the buck goes into rut, I have decided to talk to my family about studding him out. However, I have decided to ask you all what you think of him before I do so. These photos were all taken a few weeks ago, and I think he has grown even more, since he is only 1 year old. He is half Boer and half Saanan.

This side image really makes his chest and shoulders look smaller than they really are. Right now, they are huuuuge.

Anyways, thank you all for the help you have always given me! 馃挏 馃挋

Registered
just curious why that cross? milk with meat? some people do driveway service, always ask to see any testing usually cae,cl,jhones.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just curious why that cross? milk with meat? some people do driveway service, always ask to see any testing usually cae,cl,jhones.
My family wasn鈥檛 intending to buy a goat with that cross, but we did want to try out meat breeds, since we have mostly milking ones. And yes, I鈥檇 definitely test him for CL, since it has been on our farm before.

Registered
Several folks in my area do milk/ meat crosses. Mostly, it seems like they use meat bucks over dairy does, so the kids are meatier. But people are milking milk/meat does, too, so you might have some interest!
If disease testing is something that's important to you, then definitely get him tested and ask to see copies of current test results from any does he might be servicing.

I'm watching you
You're going to want a reproductive history on does. You don't need to start spreading clamydia around.
Doing driveway breeding, look the doe over for health. Have your bucket of warm hibiclens ready to go.
One jump, second jump, on the third jump grab him and clean his prod. Then take him away.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Several folks in my area do milk/ meat crosses. Mostly, it seems like they use meat bucks over dairy does, so the kids are meatier. But people are milking milk/meat does, too, so you might have some interest!
If disease testing is something that's important to you, then definitely get him tested and ask to see copies of current test results from any does he might be servicing.
Interesting. That鈥檚 good to know. I feel like people usually use sheep for meat, and goats for pets or milk.
And yes, I will get testing done ASAP. Thanks!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're going to want a reproductive history on does. You don't need to start spreading clamydia around.
Doing driveway breeding, look the doe over for health. Have your bucket of warm hibiclens ready to go.
One jump, second jump, on the third jump grab him and clean his prod. Then take him away.
Oh okay! That鈥檚 really helpful and good to know. I think that driveway breeding is a much better idea rather than keeping a buck with does for a week.

Registered
Interesting. That鈥檚 good to know. I feel like people usually use sheep for meat, and goats for pets or milk.
And yes, I will get testing done ASAP. Thanks!
A lot of people in my area keep meat goats. But I鈥檓 sure it varies a lot based on where you are.

I definitely think it鈥檚 a good idea to test your buck, to protect the does he might be servicing; but I鈥檓 pretty sure what鈥檚 being suggested here is that you require any does he services to be tested and have the owners show you the paperwork verifying their test results, to protect your buck and the rest of your herd.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A lot of people in my area keep meat goats. But I鈥檓 sure it varies a lot based on where you are.

I definitely think it鈥檚 a good idea to test your buck, to protect the does he might be servicing; but I鈥檓 pretty sure what鈥檚 being suggested here is that you require any does he services to be tested and have the owners show you the paperwork verifying their test results, to protect your buck and the rest of your herd.
Oh that鈥檚 interesting. I feel like more and more people in my area just want pet goats.
Ah I see. I was going to just test my buck, but should I test my whole herd for CL, CAE, and Jhones?

Registered
Oh that鈥檚 interesting. I feel like more and more people in my area just want pet goats.
Ah I see. I was going to just test my buck, but should I test my whole herd for CL, CAE, and Jhones?
Not quite. If I understood your original post correctly, you were planning to offer your buck鈥檚 studding services to people with does needing to be bred, right? Your buck could potentially catch one of those diseases by breeding a contagious doe, so it鈥檚 a good idea to require people to show proof of negative test results on their does before you let your buck breed them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts