The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
So...from the many articles online about training goats to walk on a lead they all end with “Make sure your goat enjoys it and has fun!”
Well..I’m probably missing the obvious but..what is ‘fun’ for a goat?
Dogs love to tug on toys and get treats. Especially tugging because they enjoy it.
Well..I could hardly imagine my tiny 17 3/4 inch tall ND doe with a full udder tugging on a toy and having ‘fun.’ So..I guess that leaves treats. No matter how many treats I bring out they never enjoy being lead. And..my silly ND doe Gracie doesn’t like apples, carrots, bread, sunflower seeds or anything the others like. She is *OK* with eat grain or hay. That stuff isn’t a treat because she always gets grain and hay for food.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If using a food lure doesn’t work for your goat (like how one trains dogs to heel), then you need to train them by pressure alone. Make sure you have one of those halters that tighten (ex: a goat rope halter), so you can correctly cue your goat. Remember that the part that tightens goes under the chin and around the back of the head. You do not want it to tighten around their nose.

When you put tension on the halter, your goat is going to pull in the opposite direction. Therefore, you need to keep that tension. Do not release, or they will learn to pull. Once they take a step forward, release the tension. It could take a minute or two for them to take that step, so be patient. Repeat until you’re tired, or they catch on lol.

If they’re being stubborn, you can reward them with a release even if they they just pick up a foot. The goal is to train them to understand that pressure means to go forward and IF they go forward, then the pressure goes away.

If they’re not budging an inch, you can pull them to one side or the other. They cannot keep their balance if you pull at an angle rather than straight in front of them, since they use their back legs as an anchor.

I’ve had does pick up on pressure training immediately. However, it can be quite time consuming for those stubborn goats, but I’ve always found that friendly goats catch on quicker. You can do it for just 5 minutes every day. Practice makes perfect!

Our goats don’t care for treats much either. An extra handful of grain always makes them perk up! It’s a great way to get them excited lol.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,565 Posts
:up: That's really good advice.
I have some really picky goats, but I find that they all will be enticed by leaves and branches. I had trouble at first with my does, but they caught on eventually. I really like the goat halters from Jeffers that have the ring right under the chin. They offer great control, although I had to punch some more holes for the buckle since even size small was way too big. They are very stylish too!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for her advice everybody! I believe I have a sheep halter that might work.
She is a friendly doe but she flinches a bit when I grab her collar. Since she isn’t shaved, I always end up pulling her fur and she panics. When she is shaved, she acts nicely.

I went out with a bowl of carrots, a crumbled end of a loaf of bread, and an overripe apple mixed together. She seemed to enjoy that. She will follow me and walk PERFECTLY on a lead. She even comes when I call her! But..her collar is a no-Touch zone and I can’t just let her walk beside me without holding on in show. Should I try to shave just her neck so I don’t full her fur, or should I just try to be more gentle?
Also, the pressure training sounds like something that will work great on our other doe! She loves treats but she won’t work for them. My younger sister has a hard time controlling her so a halter with more pull should help.
Thanks all!

·
8,175 Posts
I think goats have fun when they are annoying you. I have one that totally drives me crazy. I have those short green straps on eye bolts on the wall to tie up a goat. She grabs a strap, starts swinging it and banging the wall. Over and over!

I think goats have fun when they are doing interesting things. Once they learn to lead, then they will enjoy the walk.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts