What does this mean?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by enjoytheride, Oct 6, 2007.

1. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I plan to take Timber to be bred this weekend but I wonder if she got bred by her own buckling. He was with her til the buckling was 4 months old.
    He showed some interest n her but I never saw her do anything but shake him off. I do think the bred Dottie. He left in mid-August.
    She has had a white, crusty discharge on her vulva for most of the last month or more. It disappears for a day or so but comes right back. There are no other signs of anything going on and she doesn't look bred according to the pooch test while Dottie does.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well sounds like she is just being hormonal.

All last month my does were on constant heat. I mean each one was in heat one right after the other or at the same time and were back again in a couple days.

I just threw it off as the first heats of the year and they were being hormonal.

Now this month they seem to be on a much better schedule.

Depending on how much it costs to drive to be bred and the stud fee I would do it because chances are she is still open.

It would be to early for her to be showing signs of labor or anything which would be another reason for discharge.

3. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I am not sure but if the does are bred and they get discharge, it is sometimes the babies moving around. I doubt that your doe is bred since she wouldn't be that far along in her pregnancy to show those signs. I would breed her. Sounds to me like she is in heat and ready to be bred.

4. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I agree with what has already been posted. If it were me I think I would take her to be bred.. but of course that is just IMO. Let us know what happens!!

5. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    thanks for replies- she's going tomorrow- it's only about a half hour away and she'll stay til bred- so I'll be hoping.
    It's so good to be able to ask for opinions again.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no problem.

glad to be here

7. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Yeah, It's nice to know when you have a problem that you don't know how to handle that help isn't far away. I posted MANY times on GW with questions and concerns!!!

8. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
  9. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Tim went off to the buck today- I was surprised to see that she was almost as big as he is. The lady who has the buck said that Tim is a good Boer doe, having a very large rear end. She said she wanted to show her for me- that was a nice compliment to Tim. But I'm strictly a homebody- I wouldn't feel good leaving her alone at the fairgrounds.
    Hum- a place where a large rear end is a good thing- maybe I will let her go. lol

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I do think that is a great compliment on your doe...and yourself. Maybe consider showing her...you never know she just may surprise you.

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    nice when others can see something special in our goats :D

12. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    are you going to leave her with the buck? else how are you going to know that she's gonna WANT to be bred this weekend?

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    LW she said she is staying till bred

14. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    hmm..a nice big rear end in a Boer goat is a nice big compliment indeed! Hopefully she will pass this on to her offspring!
    Let us know if you do let her show Tim...it can't hurt if you trust this person totally.
    A few weeks ago at a fair my breeder wanted to show one of my little girls with honkin booty but she had her own to do. Miss Demeanor came in first!
    I am a homebody too...but have to get out once in awhile!!! :wink:

15. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I do trust this lady but the fair grounds are old and have seen a bazillion animals- I worry about diseases.
    Dottie is so lonely without Tim- I keep going out to give her a scratch but then she doesn't want me to go. Hopefully Tim will come home soon but I want her to stay til she misses a heat.

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    that is the hard part about owning only 2 goats. Been there done that. A couple times I would just end up breeding both because eventhough I missed having them around for a month it was better then seeing the one loney goat. But now i don't have to worry about that beings that I have 7 goats! hehe.

17. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I think Dottie is already preggo- Tim's buckling did the deed before he left.
    Poor Dottie- she is anxious about this. The horses are a poor friend substitute for her- she's scared of them.

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah well that makes it difficult doesn't it!

when is she due?