What dose of Dewormer

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by jenfrank, Aug 30, 2009.

1. jenfrank

jenfrank New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    I was given Safe-Guard Equine dewormer by my local Farmer's Co-op to use on my possibly pregnant ND. It contains fenbendazole 10%. Can anyone tell me if this product is safe for a potentially pregnant goat, and what kind of dosage I should give her? Should I use the same dosage recommended for horses? i.e. 2.3mg/lb? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yes safeguard is fine for preggy does. Give 3x the dose for horses. :)

3. jenfrank

jenfrank New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Did I read that right??? did you mean 3 times he dose for horses??? so, instead of 2.3 mg/lb, I give her 6.9 mg/lb? so for a 100 lb goat, I'd give 690 mg?

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yep, you read it right. Get a weight on your doe, multiply it by 3 and that is the weight you would use for a dose. Note though that Safeguard only kills off tapeworms, if it is still effective in your area. Most areas the tapeworms have become resistant to febendazole.

If you don't have a scale or want to get a correct estimate of her weight, use a flexible tape or a seamstress's tape and measure her around her chest, behind the front legs and then measure her length.....from her shoulder to her hip, take those measurements and get her weight this way: Girth X Girth X Length and then divide the total by 300

Besides Safeguard, Ivermectin and Panacur as well as Morantel Tartrate are "safe" wormers for preggy does.