What else can I use other than Kelp?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by walker1229, Jan 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. walker1229

walker1229 New Member

Jan 7, 2019
    Wyoming
    I am trying to bump up my goats minerals by offering minerals free choice what I have read is that along with minerals I should offer kelp but it is so expensive! Is there anything else I can use other than kelp that will be good for them? Anything I can grow and dry for over the winter that would work to replace kelp? Thanks for any help.

2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    When I first got goats I just had loose minerals, and I wanted to give them kelp but I didn’t because I also thought it was too expensive. Well, I gave in... I bought a bag of kelp. In almost a year I have BARELY made a dent in the bag. It’s not even halfway empty. I give it free choice, but if you are concerned about the cost you can do what I do sometimes and just put a 1/4 cup scoop in a feeder and let them eat that and then when you want to you can fill it up again. Kelp is still something really important to have, and I know it’s expensive, but you can choose how much to give and feed it it to the point where it is worth the money.

3. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

@goathiker has said you get most (or all?) of the benefits of kelp by offering a sea salt lick. Redmond is a good brand. Here are some of their products
    https://www.redmondagriculture.com/products/
    TSC carries this
    https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/redmond-rock-all-natural-mineral-salt-7-lb?rfk=1
    And also this
    https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/trophy-rock-all-natural-mineral-lick-12-lb?rfk=1
    The goats may eagerly eat the Kelp at first, then as they become sated, it backs off. Mine hardly eat it at all now.

4. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum!
    I think kelp is very expensive, too. I put a tablespoon in each goat's feed every evening, so I haven't seen the curtailment others are saying. When I get the barn and feeding into a permanent state I will be buying a bag. Right now buying five pounds for fifteen dollars at feed store. I have not priced a whole bag there.

5. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    I'm lucky, North American Kelp is about 30 miles from my house, so I can go pick up a 50 pound bag for around $40.00. It lasts for months. I feed it to my goats, horses and dogs. I even put a pinch in soups and such for me. My goats and horses LOVE it, even the dogs will eat it when I sprinkle it over their kibble.

Dwarf Dad, SalteyLove and mariarose like this.
  6. Island Milker

Island Milker Active Member

Dec 11, 2018
    vancouver island
    a 50 pound bag up here costs around 100 Canadian dollars. What i do is i end up walking the goats to the ocean and show them the trees and shrubs which are growing along the sea. One of my goats also drinks the ocean water that is on the rocks. not directly from the ocean per se. Everytime i show them the seaweed which has washed up on the shore they smell it without eating it.

7. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

I have read how they'll eat it when it is dried, but not when it is wet. I don't know how true that is, because I am very far from an ocean here, so can't try it out for myself. I love hearing about how you care for goats on an island. You give me lots of ideas.

8. Island Milker

Island Milker Active Member

Dec 11, 2018
    vancouver island
    Yea, i am tapping some big leaf maples here. its supposed to be a mild frost overnight and i might be able to get some maple sap. I am curious to see if the goats will drink it.
    otherwise more for me!

GoofyGoat, Dwarf Dad and mariarose like this.
  9. camooweal

camooweal Active Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Pink Himalayan rock salt has many, many minerals in it …

camooweal

Dwarf Dad likes this.
  10. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

I finally priced 50 lb sack of kelp. $65 us.