The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on my baby boy, White Boy, to be a therapy goat, but I need to get him out more so he is used to meeting new people, which he loves, and get to know public more. He is a super sweet goat and the only event we ever took him to he LOVED. He was walking around, his head high, going up to anyone we passed, and got a lot of cake :3

Now I want to find some more outdoor events to take him to that would be "pet friendly". He is a pet, ya know? Lol, but I don't know what to look for. I have looked at both our towns pages (we could be considered to live in two different towns) and neither have ANY events scheduled for the summer. I live in Albany/Leesburg GA. Help me out!

Attachments

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Well, I know that when I take new kids to the local nursing home the residents are so happy to see them. There are still lots of "old timers" that grew up on farms. And, they love to hear about my goats and how we milk them and everything. It really doesn't take that long...and I don't really "dress up" at all...the mood just strikes me and off I go with a couple of kids.

I hope everyone will take a minute and do this. Anything that "causes a ruckus" at the nursing home or is new and different, gives those folks something to talk about and the caretakers like it too. The nursing director told me that they notice fewer "complaints" after I've been there...it lasts sometimes for a few days. She's always happy to see me. :)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I agree with the nursing home, but it sounds like you are working with that in mind. I know tractor supply always welcomes goats on a leash. I know a guy who has house broken two baby wethers and they go every where with him. Also check for pet shows. We just took my grandson's yearling nigerian to a pet show and she was big hit. You can take him to any outside event. Ours go to strawberry festivals, and flea markets. Just be sure to keep a short leash on him

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I know that when I take new kids to the local nursing home the residents are so happy to see them. There are still lots of "old timers" that grew up on farms. And, they love to hear about my goats and how we milk them and everything. It really doesn't take that long...and I don't really "dress up" at all...the mood just strikes me and off I go with a couple of kids.

I hope everyone will take a minute and do this. Anything that "causes a ruckus" at the nursing home or is new and different, gives those folks something to talk about and the caretakers like it too. The nursing director told me that they notice fewer "complaints" after I've been there...it lasts sometimes for a few days. She's always happy to see me. :)
I thought about a nursing home, but I didn't WANT to bother. But this actually warms me up to the idea! I'll give them a call and ask if they wouldn't mind, though, just in case. Around here, no goat has been very "popular". I haven't seen ONE in public!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with the nursing home, but it sounds like you are working with that in mind. I know tractor supply always welcomes goats on a leash. I know a guy who has house broken two baby wethers and they go every where with him. Also check for pet shows. We just took my grandson's yearling nigerian to a pet show and she was big hit. You can take him to any outside event. Ours go to strawberry festivals, and flea markets. Just be sure to keep a short leash on him
Lol, I took our first Nubian buckling there, he rode in the buggy and they loved him. But of course I DIDN"T THINK OF THIS!! Lol. We also have a "Pet Supermarket" We took WB to when he was a baby. It was a disaster, but we still left smiling (the disaster? He wouldn't walk on the tile floor, and peed three times). Thanks!!!!

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
I thought about a nursing home, but I didn't WANT to bother. But this actually warms me up to the idea! I'll give them a call and ask if they wouldn't mind, though, just in case. Around here, no goat has been very "popular". I haven't seen ONE in public!
Oh I hope you do! Once when I was there a younger woman came over and said, "you must be the "goat lady"?! I've been hearing about you and your goats for awhile now. My mother was wild about your goats. I hope you are aware how happy you made her...she passed this morning."

Usually, I don't go inside the facility. I will go in the spring and later in the summer...lots of folks come out to an outdoor "lounge" type area. I just park as close to that as possible, we walk over and folks see us coming and come out. I think some holidays are great...then I call and coordinate with the staff. They like it when I make "plans" to go, they get lots more folks out, and family is there on holidays, so I will take older kids or an adult doe then. Reminds me, I told someone I'd bring a milk doe over some time...I should go again...it's been awhile.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh I hope you do! Once when I was there a younger woman came over and said, "you must be the "goat lady"?! I've been hearing about you and your goats for awhile now. My mother was wild about your goats. I hope you are aware how happy you made her...she passed this morning."
will loi
Usually, I don't go inside the facility. I will go in the spring and later in the summer...lots of folks come out to an outdoor "lounge" type area. I just park as close to that as possible, we walk over and folks see us coming and come out. I think some holidays are great...then I call and coordinate with the staff. They like it when I make "plans" to go, they get lots more folks out, and family is there on holidays, so I will take older kids or an adult doe then. Reminds me, I told someone I'd bring a milk doe over some time...I should go again...it's been awhile.
That would be an honor. I just e-mailed a lady last night about actually registering him to be a therapy animal. They have a whole group and go out to FIFTEEN DIFFERENT SPOTS A MONTH! The cool thing is, we are getting a guy to sponser us, and provide us with fabric to make an outfit (will look like a goat winter blanket) to put on him to go indoors, and it will have two machine washable diapers that can be taken out. The whole thing, though, will be a type of fabric that he can breath through, so he doesn't get hot. :3

Before that we may go out to a nursing home on our own. Maybe invite the head lady of Paws Patrol (group name) to come out and meet B. Thanks for the advice too! I'll keep you updated!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts