The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm thinking about getting my first goat and i have some questions about fencing.I have chickens and I made the investment to buy strong fence but it is still wire. should i get stronger fence? if so what should i use?

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
We use cattle panels and t-posts. SO easy to put up, move if you have to, and ESCAPE PROOF! :D

And remember, you should have at least 2-3 goats since they are herd animals :)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Cattle panels are great but EXPENSIVE if you have a large area. I started out with them but have since added on and use this original panel area as a holding pen when I need to do work in the pasture. USE ELECTRIC FENCE! This will greatly simplify your life and make having goats a lot less frustrating. I use two strands in addition to the cattle panels or other existing fence (one near the bottom and one at or above the top). Goats will get through fences. They pushed over the cattle panels at an angle and then jumped/launched themselves over and out. I also have a couple goats with horns. They were getting stuck in the panels and other fencing. This all ended when I put up a couple electric strands. I ran 5 wire electric (4 hots, 1 ground) where there is no pre-existing fence.

Also, don't cheap out on your fence energizer. Goats are stubborn and take a lot bigger shock than most other animals to deter.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Cattle panels are great but EXPENSIVE if you have a large area. I started out with them but have since added on and use this original panel area as a holding pen when I need to do work in the pasture. USE ELECTRIC FENCE! This will greatly simplify your life and make having goats a lot less frustrating. I use two strands in addition to the cattle panels or other existing fence (one near the bottom and one at or above the top). Goats will get through fences. They pushed over the cattle panels at an angle and then jumped/launched themselves over and out. I also have a couple goats with horns. They were getting stuck in the panels and other fencing. This all ended when I put up a couple electric strands. I ran 5 wire electric (4 hots, 1 ground) where there is no pre-existing fence.

Also, don't cheap out on your fence energizer. Goats are stubborn and take a lot bigger shock than most other animals to deter.
We did a large area, and it ended up fairly inexpensive, compared to other options.

**WOOPS** typo! :p Inexpensive, not expensive!

·
Registered
426 Posts
You can space posts farther with electric so lower post count and cost. It is cheaper than woven wire. It is cheaper than cattle panels FOR SURE! Barbed wire is harder to put up and not a guarantee. Sure, you can sink a pretty penny into a larger area but it is cheaper than the other options. If you have something cheaper that works as well as electric fence, please let me know.

The biggest cost is the energizer/charger box. Don't cheap out and you can run a lot of fence and this will overcome weeds and grass that grow into the wire.

Conor

1 - 7 of 7 Posts