The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Why not just put them in a balling gun and poke them down the goats throat? I don't do copper boluses, so I'm not familiar with them. Are they too big for a balling gun?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We just bought some from skyla and some of our girls are looking like they need a good dose so we were just going to buy some stuff tomorrow. Since this is our first time we dont have a balling gun but will most likely get one in the future.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Ok, that makes sense. Maybe in a piece of banana? Cooked sweet potatoes? Mushed up graham crackers? How big are the boluses? Could you maybe stick one in a date?

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
I borrowed this method from Karen (ksalvagno):

cut the end off a 3 cc syringe, open the capsule and put the rods in there, and put some probios on the end to keep the rods in (I use banana). stick in back of mouth, and shoot it in. give treat after or squirt with water to make it go down. I also hold their mouth shut, nose up, and pet downward on their neck to help them swallow.

good luck!

·
2,203 Posts
I have heard of graham cracker "frosting" with copper in, but I prefer capsules filled with sulfate (our choice) vs the rods.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Yep, I do the same thing as nchen7 with minor differences. I have a thread on the subject, but I don't know how to post a link. I use a syringe left over from horse dewormer and applesauce. Same technique though. If you just put the rods in a food and present it to them, they are likely to spit it out at the first crunch, or not take it at all. :)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well we got some dried fruit today and i have done one wether so far but it went well! I slit open a little hole in the fruit and placed the bolus in there. Then i squeezed a little honey in the hole and gave it to him. He didnt even mind the crunch. We bought from skyla and since they were origionally cattle bolus's there were like 3 for his weight and he couldnt wait for the next one!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts