What goat milk soap recipe/method do you use?

Discussion in 'Crafty Cabin' started by milk and honey, Feb 3, 2011.

1. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    Hi Guys...
    just wondering what type of goat milk soap recipe you all use??/ I've been researching.. and want to make some for my own use and for gifts..
    but there are several different ways to make it... what works best for you all?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I freeze my measured amount of milk as the "liquid" in the recipe, add the lye to the frozen milk and stir to dissolcve then add that mix to my oils of the same temp, mix with a stick blender to trace, add scent and pour into molds.

3. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    Thanks Liz,
    There was a recipe I saw that had me put the pot in a sink of ice water... Yours sounds simpler ...Which is ALWAYS better~

4. icboers

icboers New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge,TX
    You put the container that you mix the milk/lye solution into a bowl or sink of ice water to keep it from getting to hot and burining the sugars and fats in the milk and making your soap a darker color. It is almost impossible to get a white soap while using milk, but a light tan is usually what I get.

5. nubians2

nubians2 New Member

I also put my heated oils in a bowl of ice to help it cool faster. You just have to keep stirring it so that the bottom doesn't turn solid while the top is still warm.

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Also...other than the milk "cooking" with the lye, I've found that using a vanilla scented oil will make the soap a caramel color...still looks good and works the same, just a bit darker than others.

7. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    This is a rookie soap making question but I am wondering about the Lye, but I want to err on the side of caution with it being caustic and all. Is it liquid? Crystals? Will any Lye work as long as its 100%? I wanted to get some the other day from a local hardware store but neither the owner of the store nor I really knew if it was the right type for soap, so we decided not to buy it and the owner didn't really want to sell it to us so it didn't come back on him. He said to come back if we find out it is indeed the wright kind. And after all I don't want the human test subjects.. err product testers to get chemical burns from the wrong lye product and never want goats milk soap again.

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I use ROEBIC brand "crystal drain opener" it is a crystal and 100% sodium hydroxide......it's in a white cannister with a yellow label and red lettering. I've used it for years with no adverse affects.