The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Wendylou
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something got two of my babies last night. One baby had two small bite marks on her flank about the size of a nail head. My other baby had no visible injuries, maybe died of shock,? Could this of been bats?

·
Wendylou
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So sorry for your loss. It probably wasn't bats. Possum & **** have some pretty nasty teeth.
I'm thinking that too but they didn't eat the goats, just bit them. Would opossums and raccoons do that? And thank you so very much. My heart is just breaking

·
Wendylou
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinking that too but they didn't eat the goats, just bit them. Would opossums and raccoons do that? And thank you so very much. My heart is just breaking
Ya know, I'm looking at bite mark pictures and comparing to what my baby had, we think it was definitely a bobcat

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
Normally Bobcats would of dragged the kid off, not bite and leave it.

Were they in the barn when this happened or out in the open?

Check for any holes in the barn, where something may of used for entry or if they were outside, check your fence line for intruders, that may of dug under your fence ect.

Do you have any dogs with them? They can play to rough.

The one kid that is just dead with no marks, could of been laid on.

Coyotes kill at the throat and eat internal organs, then leave the rest.

Cougars attack the upper torso area.

With snake bite and bat bites, it will be 2 small holes close together.

·
I'm watching you
22,265 Posts
If there are rats in the barn a doe can kill her kids trying to keep them awake and standing up.

·
Wendylou
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Normally Bobcats would of dragged the kid off, not bite and leave it. Were they in the barn when this happened or out in the open? Check for any holes in the barn, where something may of used for entry or if they were outside, check your fence line for intruders, that may of dug under your fence ect. Do you have any dogs with them? They can play to rough. The one kid that is just dead with no marks, could of been laid on. Coyotes kill at the throat and eat internal organs, then leave the rest. Cougars attack the upper torso area. With snake bite and bat bites, it will be 2 small holes close together.
Thanks toth!! The goats were out in the open,normally put up but the one night they were out this happens. The dogs were going nuts outside around 4am. Goats all ran up on the porch and stayed there. After observing for awhile and seeing nothing, thought all was ok and maybe a **** or something startled them.

The two holes were about an inch apart on the flank area. We found a third goat dead in the barn with her insides out,two bite marks on the neck. We noticed some kittens from the barn cats were gone as well, no trace of them and they are usually there first thing wanting the fresh cows milk. That's when I knew something happened to them. Geesh, terrible day. I'm still crying and can't believe this happened.
Thank you everyone for your help, you are very appreciated more then you know. I thank you!!

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
Oh noooooo! How terrible! :( I have no guess as I'm not that knowledgeable about predators.

·
I'm watching you
22,265 Posts
I wonder if you've got a weasel? They will kill for no reason but, to kill. They never stop. Might try a live trap baited with raw liver...

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
I am very sorry for your loss. :(

Lock them up, so it won't happen again, the critter will be back. :(

Sounds like coyote's, they only eat the internal organs and leave the rest.

You say you have dogs, are any of them LGD's out in the field with the goats or separate from them?

You may have to go shoot the coyote, if it is permitted in your state to do so.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I wonder if you've got a weasel? They will kill for no reason but, to kill. They never stop. Might try a live trap baited with raw liver...
That's exactly what I was thinking.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Trying to figure out how to post pics
If you are using a phone I am of no use as my phone is ancient and doesn't have apps.

But online you can go to manage attachments, under attach files, then hit the choose file button and search for the picture you want to upload.

I'm sorry for your loss and hope you figure out who the culprit is.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If your on a iPhone or iPod there is a + in the top right corner when your in leave a comment area press it and you can choose to attach from camera or from photos. I'm so sorry this happened, that's so sad

·
Registered
215 Posts
Awww...I so sorry!!

·
Registered
365 Posts
:rose: I am so terribly sorry for your Loss, this has got to be devastating to you. I am so Sorry! Wish there was something more I could do! :sigh::pray::tears::hair::tear::grouphug:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Rattlesnakes will attack but not eat the kids or any of the older goats.
One year I lost three does to snake bites. Also, lost an older guardian dog after his fourth snake bite three years ago.

Two years ago I saved a month old doe kid who had her face ribbed open by a huge rattler. She must have pulled back as the snake hit and she tore open her lip and part way up her face. She was very ill for weeks but I refused to lose her!! I feed her for a month with a syringe tube three times a day. The vet did NOT think she would make it. She just had her second set of kids this year and she is a super sweet girl.

I have lost horse foals to cougars. One foal was taken as the mare foaled. That was in NE WA state.
While living in Montana I lost a foal the first day after it was born. The mare tried to save the foal but finally gave up and ran off.
Due to a neighbor a mile down the road ... at that time our oldest guardian dog was locked in a kennel. My hubby got into it with the guy who threatened to shoot our guardians on OUR place if they were loose. That is when the cat hit.

About a month later another neighbor down the road lost a huge gelding to a cougar and spent days tracking down the rest of his herd who took out the fences running away during the kill zone.

While in NE WA state I had a grizz take three lambs three days in a row from the weanling sale pen. That is when I first got my guardians. One time in Central WA we lost a doe and her newborn kids to a grizz. Left only the stomach to find the next morning.

Right now a friend of mine has lost all but two chickens to a bobcat. That thing is brave cause she has three guardians and it still kills and runs.

Prey vs predator. Goats always lose on that end.

So very sorry to hear about your loss. I hope you can find out what is causing all this death.

Keep your girls close to you until this is taken care of.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts