The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
926 Posts
Very sorry to hear About losing your animals. We've had weasels take a whole flock of chickens but an inch apart seems too wide for weasel bite. Most likely a coyote they have fangs that could have been that close together and bend in for a secure hold so they do attack from the back or sides while chasing

Attachments

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have read this whole entire thread and I agree it sounds like a weasle.... can't. Kill a goat kid out-right but does eat hens from the back side-in. You need to lock up your critters in a secure pen for nocturnal hours and have an lgd roaming the property. I once lost 40 prime laying hens in 3 days to a weasle.... stopped when I opened pen doors to my lgd.

·
Wendylou
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Just wNted to give y'all an update. We have had no more attacks thus far and I'm fixin to tell you what we did that may have helped. Please don't think I'm crazy but since most predators are afraid of humans, the boys made sure when they had to "go", they would go by the goat pen, where the kitty's are, and near the hens and barn. I left some of my hair on some fence posts as well. We got as much of our human scent around as possible! Now, I hope this was the trick because on top of feeling crazy, I feel relieved that we haven't had anymore attacks.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Well don't feel crazy.....if it makes you feel better I spray my goats with wolf pee lol. People look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them I spray wolf pee on them to keep the coyotes away......but it works!!!!!

·
1,524 Posts
I let my dogs mark all around my property. It seems to keep things away. I used to have my sons pee around the boundries too, but that didn't seem to stop the fox from killing my chickens and ducks or the coyotes from hanging around. My sled dogs will howl when the coyotes start howling which causes to coyotes to beat feet away from the area. My dogs sound just like wolves, which are natural enemies to coyotes, and I guess the yotes think I have a pack of resident wolves on my property!

I also have 2 Great Pyrenees who do a great job barking and chasing everything away.

·
Wendylou
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
It very well could have been dogs. There are wild dogs out here as well as other predators. Since both dogs were outside at the time, we thought maybe tey scared it off before it could take anything or maybe the older goats in the herd stood ground as well. I know it did make off with a few of the kittens because they are gone. This happened the ONE time we left the goats out because we got back late and since nothing had been happening we didn't think anything would and they would be ok for one night. Was just too tired from delivering hay and THAT won't happen again.

·
Registered
628 Posts
well, I know this seems crazy also, but there's also more rumors about this chupacabra thing roaming around....looks like a coyote with a bad case of mange...a lady in texas actually shot one. she was having a problem too about finding livestock dead with twin holes about an inch or so apart, but drained of blood also. was there any blood smears on the babies? around on the ground? signs of a struggle? I know it does sound really asanign, (think i spelled that right lol) but hey, you gotta be open becusae theyre finding new species of animals everyday. like i sad...I know it sounds insane....but thats not right or natural sounding for a predator to bite something and leave it there.....or in a barn to gut a goat and leave it there. That is REALLY weird. either that or something with rabies was running around becuase rabies effects different species in different ways....may not have taken long to kill a baby goat. :[ Im sorry that you lost your babies. I hope the problem is over with. Keep having the men mark the territory. dont pee yourself, it will attract predators. but do rub on stuff, leaving your scent wherever you can!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
WOW, I hope this takes care of it. I bet that is so hard to find them like that.

·
Wendylou
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Thank you everyone!
Hey, I heard of those chupa cabra things! We actually found a video on them, that appeared to be real! Don't think that hasn't crossed my mind. My friend Jesi and I actually made a funny video about looking for one while we were breaking from building. Am I able to post links on here from iPhone?. I seem very limited with what I can do verses a computer.
I will try to find it and copy link because that's funny you mentioned it, we did too!
The goats that it got were the more tame and loving. My heart still breaks. I miss bottle feeding gertie and crying out to her just to have her run to me for hugs. I'm more angry now. You all know how it is because you love your little darlings too. I feel like I lost family but we still have 12 with more on the way.
I appreciate you all, I really do. And THANKYOU.

North Mississippi

21 - 40 of 64 Posts