The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2,203 Posts
I don't know if I should change the grain when my goat starts milking
What do you feed? You may not have to change the grain, but rather the intake and up the protein (as mentioned).

·
624 Posts
I mix my own and all my does get the same feed. It's equal parts barley and oats, wheat bran and BOSS. I have Nubians and feed my milkers about 3 quarts a day and they give around a half gallon of milk per goat. I would up their feed when you start milking and keep an eye on them to make sure they aren't gaining weight.

·
1,524 Posts
I feed mine a dairy cow pelleted feed year round. I can bounce between the 16 and the 20% protein as needed. The 20% feed about a month prior to breeding to flush them, but mostly it's the 16% protein, high energy pellet. In the winter i add soaked beet pulp.

·
Registered
7 Posts
16-20% protein in sweet feed, dairy pellets , a little calf mana...be sure not to mix too much or it could affect the milk'a taste, alfalfa , goat developer, and beef pulp. Hope this helped! :)

·
2,203 Posts
Does sweet feed affect the taste of milk?
Sure does! The molasses can hinder the sweetness I have found, as coconut oil actually aids in the sweetness.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm feeding Blue Seal Caprine Challenger.

When I used to have feed mixed I'd have higher protein when they freshened and then lower toward the end of lactation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts