what grain do you feed?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by greif, Nov 4, 2007.

1. greif

greif New Member

Nov 3, 2007
    kaukauna, WI
    just wondering what grains you feed your goats. we give our 4 weathers (just pets) 1/2 cup of sunflower seeds per day. tried roasted soybeans but they won't touch them.
  2. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I give mine dry horse grain with no molasses. I have 3 of them, a Pygmy and two young Nubians and I give them about one and a half coffee cups of it twice a day. They also get hay and have grass and leaves to eat all day.

3. Duchesse

Duchesse New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    My two pet pygmy does receive 1/4 cup once a day , of Purina Goat Chow mixed with a tbsp BOSS, 2 alfalfa cubes and a tbsp of horse sweet feed. I will be giving this twice a day for the winter when there is no more forage available. I collect leaves for them once or twice a day. They also get free choice grass hay, Purina Goat minerals, baking soda and of course fresh water.
  4. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    I feed my three wethers (2 Nigerians and an Alpine) Blue Seal Caprine Challenger. They love it! I feed it twice a day with BOSS added. I also give 1 tablespoon Fastrack added for each goat in the evenings. I tie them up separately and give them their own dishes so I know how much they are getting. Pace and Shanti, the Nigerians, get 1/3 cup twice a day, as they are pretty beefy. Melino, the Alpine, gets 1 cup twice a day as he is still growing and is on the slimmer side. They all get free choice hay, loose minerals, baking soda, and water (one bucket with a sploosh of cranberry/apple juice, sine they really like that, and one plain).
  5. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    i feed coop goat grain(non medicated) to my alpines. the milkers get 2 lbs twice i day when i am milking & showing with a cup of beet pupl & alfalfa pellets mixed in. my dries get 1 lb twice aday. i will cut the milkers back to 1 lb twice a day till they are dried off & for maintanence until they are getting ready to kid. my bucks get 2 lbs twice a day. they all have free choice minerals,baking soda & freash water at all times. plus i give the does hay every morning & they have pasture all day & the bucks have a round roll of hay in there pasture so they have it free choice
  6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

When milking my does get a mixture of wet cob, BOSS, rolled oats, and viger plus. they get free choice grass hay and alfafa pellets. Of course water baking soda and minerals.
    During the winter the goats get a small amount of the grain ration and beet pulp adeed into the diet.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    my does and wether get a sweet goat feed made by Southern States.

I have heard that soy beans are not good for goats or at least in large quanities- isn't that right goathappy?

I mix my feed with BOSS and top dress it with fastrack.

I wouldn't feed just straight BOSS - a horse sweet feed mix or something for goats would be a good idea to add.
  8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    oh dear where are my manors!!! welcome to the Goat Spot! :D
  9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    our goats(meat dairy, bucks, does, dry does and wethers) all get a 12-14% mix of oats, barley, BOSS and a little corn. Our goats milk and grow incredibly well on that.
    Bucks get 1lb per feeding(bucks and wethers don't get corn, btw) during rut and milking does get 1 lb of grain for every 3 lbs of milk produced and skinny does get an extra pound for body condition. Dry yearlings get 2 cups a day so they don't get fat, that is upped during the fall for breeding. The kids get 1 1/2-2 cups per feeding for growing.
  10. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oh, and also, soybeans ARE NOT a good thing to feed to goats. Even if they are roasted. We used to feed soybeans to our goats and they were so sick all the time. They had resperitory problems, chronic snotty noses, fertility problems, and even abortions. After we stopped feeding soy we had no more problems. The snotty noses and other resperitory problems went away within 2 weeks and the next fall there were no fertility problems. We have been soy free for 2 1/2 years and our goats are ssooooooo much healthier without it, the milk tastes better too.
  11. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    My does get a fourth cup of whole oats added to some alfalfa pellets and their hay. The kids get only hay and what pellets they steal from their moms.
  12. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    I feed alfalfa pellets, BOSS, and a grain mix that I mix myself. :D
  13. alpinemom

alpinemom New Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Waldoboro, ME
    My Alpine milkers and young stock all run together so I mass feed Poulin 18% Sweet Goat and beet pulp. When Milkers come out to the stand they get 1 lb of grain and 2cups of beetpulp plus what they get in the pen. I feed as much hay as they want as I have no real pasture, just a cleared woodlot. My 2 bucks get 2 lbs of Sweet 18% and 2 cups of beetpulp twice a day which they share. All of them get free choice minerals with kelp added
  14. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    All of my minis get the same type of feed...Blue Seal Caprine Challenger 18%...or if it isn't available they get Blue Seal Coarse 16....it is specifically a goat feed. Mine get 1 cup 2x day unless they are kids or lactating..then it's 2 cups 2x day as well as freechoice pasture and hay,minerals and water.
    BTW Tractor Supply carries this brand as well as Dumor brand...which I did try...my goats don't care for just pellets :D they like the variety of texture that the Blue Seal has, :D
  15. drafthorsechick

drafthorsechick New Member

Oct 15, 2007

I'm glad I'm not the only person here without pasture! I'd kill for 5 or 10 acres, but here in farm country it's just not going to happen.

I feed a variety of animals together--5 llamas, 2 alpacas, a small flock of sheep and my goats, so I put out a gazillion feed pans, and mix all stock sweet feed, Cargill Nutrena lamb and kid feed, beet pulp, and BOSS. THere is a small amount of corn in the all stock, but I really don't think it's enough to bother my rams or wethers.

I use a mineral mix made by Buckeye Feeds, keep baking soda out free choice, and they have a round bale of alfalfa/orchard grass hay that they have access to at all times.

It's a little bit of a dance to make sure that the goats have enough copper, and the sheep don't have too much.

16. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Hi Therese! How's June and Johnny doing?
  17. drafthorsechick

drafthorsechick New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Hey Sarah!

They are doing really great--they are so cute to watch together, they are like two peas in a pod. They nap together, hang out together, eat out of the same food pan, the whole nine yards. You can certainly tell they're twins.

They fit right in around here with their names, too--we have a team of mules named Waylon and Willie, and a horse named Hank. :D

I can't wait to pick out a really nice Billy for June to have a 'date' with next year.

18. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    LOL I'm glad their doing good. They are both so sweet. Their lil' sis May misses them, but she's doing ok. She gets special treatment, she gets to be out while we're milking when the other kids have to stay in, lol
    June is going to be a super nice doe when she freshens, if you need help finding a buck, let me know!
  19. sunshineandtulip

sunshineandtulip New Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Missouri Ozarks
    I feed a 16% sweet feed with oats and BOSS added. They are getting very little grain right now due to the fact that I am not milking but they have all the hay they can eat.
  20. GregH

GregH New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Glade Hill, VA
    I feed Southern States sweet goat feed. Could somebody explain what BOSS is? thanks