The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
BOSS is Black Oil Sunflower Seeds. It's high in selenium, fiber and protein. Lots of people supplement or topdress with it. I use it as treats and a supplement.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'd say about a tablespoon through 1/4 cup per goat per feeding mixed with grain, depending on what you want it to do. If you have a skinny goat, it adds fat, or it helps keep condition and a shiney coat. I think they have quite a bit of calcium... or so it said on one lable.... so I wouldn't give wethers too much (though my three guys get it. A small handfull each twice a day)

·
Registered
46 Posts
My goats didnt like them at first either but I started by just putting very few in their grain and with in the week they were eating them with out complaining. A $16/50lb bag last me about 2 months. I can tell a difference when I am out for a little while.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Let me think. I'm pretty sure it's around 50$$ for a 50 lb bag. So I get the 25 and pay around... umm... oh ugh. I don't have my notebook with me :(

·
Registered
46 Posts
A DOLLAR A POUND??? Oh my I thought it had gotten to expensive here!!! Even though I still use it but at that price I would probably be looking at replacing with something else!!

·
Registered
605 Posts
I mix grain, I use a complete feed Purina Show Goat, and Purina Goat Chow(the wet kind) but then I top dress with BOSS so I think they're getting fed pretty well. Everything costs around 13$ for a 50lb bag. Except obviously for the BOSS which I think is 14.50 for a 25 lbs bag.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Alfa-Oat pellets

I have had good results feeding alfa-oat pellets to my goats. I needed a feed that I could use for my horses and goats instead of buying different types of feed. I pay $8 a 50lb. bag. It is 12% protein and 4.5% fat. I have a friend that is a feed dealer and she gets this out of Bolivar TN.

http://www.freewebs.com/scapegoatranch/

·
Registered
329 Posts
I feed a horse sweet feed. It is only 12% protein, but that is all my mom will buy. But the goats LOVE it! We tried goat feed once but my spoiled brats wouldn't touch it. Goats! They also get our grass hay from our field. They love that too. Sometimes I sneak a flake of our old horses's alfalfa, even tough I'm not supposed to. They are CRAZY for that. Our milker who is giving like a pint a day because she is almost dry gets 1.5 pounds a day. The two 5 month old doelings get .5 pounds each a day and the rest of the critters get 3 pounds total a day which includes 4 does who were bred less than a month ago, 2 mini donkey yearlings[who are for sale if anyone is interested], a wether, and 2 FAT sheep. That doesn't sound like much but they are all quite tubby.

·
Registered
265 Posts
My goaties get "Honor Goat" feed. They also get some all stock feed, which is an oat, corn, and barley mix. I also toss a bit of Equine Merit Senior Feed, which is a complete feed. I mainly give the last feed because the hay they get is a bit coarser than they prefer, and rather than give them Alfalfa pellets (due to my bucky boy being in with them right now), I give them that instead. They get approx 9 cups of the mixture daily between the three of them.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I used to use Blue Seal Coarse 16%, but they didn't liked it. They would pick out the corn and oats and leave the pellets. Because of them wasting, we got some nasty furry pests.
Once I switched to Dumor Mare and Foal 16% they ate everything! They even started to lick their bowls.
They also get Purina Goat Minerals and Dumor Beef Pasture minerals(alternated), timothy hay, and baking soda.
They also have four types of water- molasses, cherry koolaide, ACV and plain. All warm in the morning.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I feed Purina Goat Chow. I have tried several other brands such as Honor and sweet feed, my fainters don't seem to care for them. I also top dress with BOSS. They have several acres of browse, and supplement with hay during the late fall thru winter. I also keep Sweetlix and baking soda available for them at all times. How many pounds/cups per goat do you feed? I was curious to see if I was under or overfeeding mine.
:)

·
Breaking Dawn Ranch
2,120 Posts
the price for the BOSS is cheap at $14.50 a bag....here we pay $20 a bag. All of my goats get it daily. It has helped out so much with their coats. All of them are so shiny except one of my nasty boys....he pees everywhere and he stinks so he isn't shiny.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I feed a lentil based feed. It is mainly lentils with green peas, barley, and a very few oats. I wish that it had a few more oats, but my girls do great on it. I pay 8 cents a pound now, it was 6 cents over the summer. The price is right and once my girls got past the sweet feed that they had been used to getting, the love it.

I really like that it doesn't have corn or molasses in it. Both of those seem to make my girls fat, without adding any significant nutrition.

What I hate, loading it myself. The guy that sell is buys 20 -40 tons at a time, so I have to take my own containers and fill them with a shovel. Doesn't seem like an issue until I am there trying to load with my 3 year old daughter and my 11 month old son in tow. For some reason both of them end up crying uncontrollably the whole time.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts